round and round...

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Quitting... and starting anew

At the beginning of the year when I started Blog 365, I was excited to challenge myself with the task of blogging every day of the year (except Leap Day) for all of 2008. It seemed like a daunting task, but one that I was eager to accept and tackle. I jumped right in and I blogged diligently. Most often the posts were traditional, sometimes they were audio clips, and others were mobile photo posts. I scribbled notes while Matthew and I were travelling through Europe on our honeymoon so I could post them as soon as I got to an internet cafe or when we got back home. I wanted to complete this 365 consecutive post challenge.

And then... Saturday, July 12 happened. The day I peed on a stick and our lives changed.

Finding out you're pregnant is not any kind of news you're prepared for. Even if you've been hoping and planning, you still can't be prepared for the rush of emotion that floods through you when you look down and you see that plus sign. Everything changes. One minute it's you, just you. The next minute there are 3 of you where only 2 of you had been.

In the 8 days we've known we're expecting a baby we've bought 4 books (one of which has freaked me out so badly that I threw it across the room last night), surfed countless message boards, researched diaper services and midwives, talked about the need for a doula, the list goes on. We've talked about our dreams and fears, what elates us and what scares the daylights out of us. We've hugged, kissed, cried, fumbled through some naked adult time while trying not to be preoccupied with the teensy weensy embryo growing in my belly. It's been the most amazing 8 days.

And in those 8 days I've blogged only a handful of times. I can see what the future holds for me. It holds sleepless nights filled with awe and worry, exhausting days of work, celebratory dinners with friends and family, and little time for blogging.

So, Blog 365 is done for me. I'm quitting. I'm starting something far bigger that will need a lot of energy in the coming months. I'm not going away, not by a long shot. I just won't be here every day. I've got a baby to build.

Labels: , ,

10 What people are saying:

Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

I have been kind of absentee too...enjoying summer, doing so much around the house, and doing so much adoption homework. We've jumping through one hoop after another. Racing towards the goal of getting the big package of paperwork off to China. While we will have a two year lull, waiting for the referral...we'll still be busy learning, building a nursery, preparing, growing, waiting. I suspect my gaps in posting will ebb/flow...sometimes be long, sometimes not.

Your time will go quickly...it doesn't seem so now, but it will my friend!

Life is changing fast...You will find the road ahead demands more of your time and attention than this place...

Not to worry...we'll all still be out here in cyber-land...we're all just a few clicks away.

***HUGS*** I just can't say enough--congrats. I'm so happy for you!

7/22/2008 09:14:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenn rambles...

Life happens. And it's grand.

Enjoy.

7/22/2008 10:27:00 AM

 
Blogger Lynilu rambles...

Good for you. You should listen to your body and mind and follow their advice. Enjoy the next few months without pushing so hard, because you will be one busy girl after this baby bounces into your arms! I don't mean that it is a bad thing or something to worry about, I just mean it is what it is!! You'll love it! :)

7/22/2008 10:43:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Just blog for YOU honey! I wish I had kept my book about pregnancy written by Sheri (of Bob and Sheri radio fame). It was the TRUTH.

7/22/2008 10:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Anisa rambles...

life does indeed happen...and i'll be looking forward to your updates every now and again!!

7/22/2008 05:06:00 PM

 
Blogger Caroline rambles...

I think it's great that you are taking time for you and your new family. Do what is best for you and that new life you are creating.

7/23/2008 09:49:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown rambles...

Wow! Congratulations!

7/23/2008 11:12:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

Enjoy every minute of your blessed experience.

7/24/2008 05:13:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

retro girl - Your patience is beyond admirable. I marvel at it on a regular basis! I can't wait to hear all about her when she comes. As long as it may take, she's going to be a very loved kid.

jenn - You said it, sister. It happens. And then when you think there's a lull it happens some more.

lynilu - Seriously! Bouncing into my arms is exactly how I imagine it!!

patti - You know what other book about pregnancy is the absolute truth? Jenny McCarthy's book called Belly Laughs. Holy crap, that woman does not mince words!!! It's awesome.

anisa - Updates for sure. Random complaints and fits of neurotic worry, for sure. ;-)

caroline - Wow, my new family. You're so right. It's so nice to say it out loud.

chris - Thanks, dude! I'm freaking out! haha

cajun vegan - I'm trying. I'm doing an ok job of it so far. It's 75% enjoyment and 25% complete unsettling discomfort.

7/26/2008 01:16:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

i smiled so big when i got that text picture. still have it. won't ever get rid of it. pee pee sticks are awesome when they mean something other than a kidney infection!!! *snort*
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
here comes fun auntie kristie. watch out! oh, you are SO not ready. hehe

8/12/2008 05:40:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home