round and round...

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Hearing the voices



Ever have one of those days when you can't get a song out of your mind? As much as you try it won't budge. You listen to other music, you turn on the TV, you have a phone call, you go to a meeting, you walk your dog. Still, the song stays with you. It haunts you. It won't leave, it's a stubborn little bugger.

Today my haunting personal soundtrack is Hallelujah. Jeff Buckley's version. All respect to Leonard Cohen, but Buckley's take on the song is so heart breakingly beautiful it blows me away every time I hear it. The video doesn't have any visuals other than pretty colors, SonyBMG doesn't like to have Buckley's video for this song embedded anywhere, so you won't see the magical Jeff himself unless you go directly to YouTube. But the song is amazing and if you've never heard it you would do youself a great service by giving it a listen. Pay close attention to the first seconds - that's his inward breath. Even more meaningful since his death.

These are the bits that kill me:

I've seen your flag on the marble arch
And love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah.

There was a time when you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show that to me do ya?

Remember when I moved in you
And the holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was hallelujah?

Maybe there's a god above
But all I've ever learned from love
Is how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya.

And it's not a cry that you hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah.

Labels: ,

4 What people are saying:

Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Great!! I hope this will stick in my head now, I've had a tune from "Tenacious D and the Pick Of Destiny" stuck on a loop in my head for three days and it's killing me :)

2/07/2008 12:57:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

Buckley's version always makes me tear up.

Currently stuck in my head: Sarah Silverman's "I'm Effing Matt Damon."

2/07/2008 11:04:00 PM

 
Blogger Claire Joy rambles...

Thanks for this... my new favorite song for Lent.
(The menu below has a bunch of versions. I listened to every one. John Cale and the string quartet was pretty awesome too.)

2/08/2008 04:28:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

This song gave me chills...it really is a hauntingly beautiful song.

Thank you for sharing it with us...

I recently rented the movie Once...and after about 20 mins. just couldn't get into it and stopped it. However, the song "Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova haunted me so much I had to download it on Itunes...have you heard it?

2/08/2008 05:54:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home