round and round...

Monday, February 11, 2008

Superwhack

Superdelegates are starting to piss me off.

Every time I start to think my vote really matters, that my individual voice is strong enough to bear weight... I learn something else about how the election process is designed to ideally use the votes of the people, but really doesn't hinge much on what we as a public have to say when it comes right down to it. It's the same argument that people have been waging against the electoral college forever, it's just on the party scale rather than the national election at this point.

I've been volunteering and getting the word out about Obama because I believe in his ability to be a good leader (My thinking on this is that we need to decide if we want a good manager or a good leader. I believe Sen. Clinton would be a great manager, but that Sen. Obama would be a real leader.), but all the while I'm feeling a bit silly about it because I'm afraid my vote won't count for much. I fear the delegates at the Convention will take this decision to the smoky backrooms of the old boys' club because neither candidate will gain the number of delegate votes required to secure the party's nomination outright. From wikipedia:
At the 2008 Democratic National Convention, the superdelegates will compose approximately one-fifth of the total number of delegates. The closeness of the race between the leading contenders, Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama, has caused greater attention to be paid to the role of the superdelegates in selecting the Democratic nominee inasmuch as in the aggregate they could come to be king makers to a degree not seen in previous election cycles.
What does that mean? It means that although my individual ballot was counted and processed, my vote doesn't mean much. It means that someone else (the party bigwigs) will be deciding which of the 2 candidates will be allowed to run for president. It means that I'm back to being frustrated as hell with our "democratic" process. Which is a real shame since Obama is the only politican I've been excited about in many years. I'm still excited about him. But this system? This system is a disappointment.

Labels: , ,

4 What people are saying:

Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

Unfortunately, this is why people don't vote. The system is really very stratified and confusing when you really think about it. It's supposed to be very simple, one person=one vote=the person with the most votes win. It really isn't that simple.

2/11/2008 11:54:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I was all excited about Bill Clinton in fact he was who inspired me to register and vote and i've done it ever since.

2/12/2008 01:01:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

I don't get the super delegate thing at all. I still have lots of reading to do, I guess. Has the process always been this convoluted or is this just the first non-encumbent close race we've had in our lifetimes?

2/12/2008 05:38:00 PM

 
Blogger Anisa rambles...

oh my gosh - i was just saying this earlier tonight! WHY are our presidential nominations and the general election not 100% based on popular vote? i just don't get it. we need to be a true democracy!

and i love barack...i am so hoping he will be the next president.

2/12/2008 10:22:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home