round and round...

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Identity, schmidentity

I did it. I changed my name. I'm officially a *Matthew's Last Name*. And it only took an hour. Amazing. Go team!

A little insight into the good times that await you should you ever need to go to the SSN:

(I walk up to the counter and see the woman behind the plexiglass.)
Me: Hi, how are you today?
Woman: What do you want?
Me: Uh, OK, I guess you're doing just peachy. I need to change my name, please."
Woman: Gimme your form.

See? Good times. Good, governmental times.


UNRELATED: I want another dog so badly it's crazy. The rerun of Oprah's show about puppy mills isn't helping much. I just watched the part where the Ft. Worth Animal Shelter officer euthanizes that sweet pup because no one adopted him. Breaks my heart every time. Reminds me, this is my weekend to walk the dogs at the shelter. Yay! I love shelter weekends.

6 What people are saying:

Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Do you have room for two dogs? Or would you get a smaller one? Everyone I know with two says it's not that much more work than one...you're going out for a walk either way. Twice the vet bills though...yikes!!!!

Still, Duke might like a buddy, no?

5/29/2008 05:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Sandra - We have room for 2 as long as the second one is a lounge-around breed like Duke or a much smaller one. Bigger dogs tend to be much more of the sleeping-more-than-not kind, which is surely Duke's description. We'd like to get a smaller dog for several reasons. One, to keep Duke company, especially since I'll be going back to an office job rather than being home with him all day. Two, because there are just so many pooches in our local shelters it feels like we're not doing enough. Three, the idea of a huge dog and a tiny dog is awesome. ;-)

5/29/2008 06:04:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

You are so sweet Melissa, from a fellow animal lover...


I remember when I first got married and someone called me Mrs _______ in public, I was looking around for the MIL LOL

5/29/2008 09:41:00 PM

 
Blogger Lynilu rambles...

Don't you love government employees?

The name change is an interesting topic. A personal decision, for sure, and what I'm going to say isn't meant to say anything about you or anyone but myself. In retrospect, I'd not have "taken" anyone's name. At the time, I wouldn't have chosen otherwise, but since then I've come to realize that I am ME, and keeping the name that is/was ME would have been the right thing. I've taken back my maiden name, not to disrespect my late hub, but simply because it is who I am. I remember the slightly giddy feeling of being called by that other name, however, and the sense of belonging that it afforded. Fun, isn't it?

I'm looking for a rescue, too. Any dog owner should be required to pass a test before owning. Breeders should not be able to have pups unless each one has a guaranteed good, tested and licensed home. I hate that pet animals are ever, ever deserted/neglected/abused.

OK, I'm done with the shouting! Sorry.

5/30/2008 12:43:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

I'm changing your name in my phone right now...

5/30/2008 01:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Brown English Muffin rambles...

I saw that Oprah show as well...so did that guy know that Oprahs dog had died when he decided to put that big billboard ad up there for her to see?

Oh yeah why are government workers so damn rude...just like verizon workers (and yes by hubby even works for verizon) I know they don't start out all being rude...so what happens?

6/03/2008 04:33:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home