round and round...

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Melissa by any other name would smell as sweet

Tomorrow is a big day. A day that will live in infamy. One that will go down in the annals of history as a day of changing tides and monumental shifts.

Tomorrow I will go to the Social Security Administration office to process my name change.

I've always said I'm not very attached to my last name. I'm a *Melissa's Last Name* in name only, I'm much more like my mom's side of the family anyway. I'm spunky like them, sarcastic like them, loyal like them. If I could have chosen my last name at birth I'd have chosen my mom's maiden name.

I digress...

I've known since Matthew and I met that when we got married I'd take his name. To me it's a unified front sort of thing. We're in this together. We're a team. We're going to have a family and our kids will have the same last name as us. No hyphenation, no mom has one last name and dad has another. When our kids are old enough to have school friends and they come over, they'll know that I'm Mrs. So-and-so (even though I really have a problem with kids calling me by anything other than my first name) and Matthew is Mr. So-and-so. None of this, "Hmm, what is Little Johhny's mom's last name again?" It's just not for me.

So, tomorrow I'll head to the Brooklyn Social Security Card Center (yes, there are so many of us in the NYC area that need cards [replacement, new, name change, etc.] that we can't all go to the regular SSA office, we have to go to a specific card office). I'll wait in line, however long it takes, and I'll change my name. Uncle Sam will have all the current info for which to track me and unlawfully spy on me. Woot!

Labels: ,

1 What people are saying:

Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I'm a "traditionalist" too and always kinda looked askance at the feminazis who kept their maiden names. But truly to each his/her own.

5/29/2008 09:43:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home