round and round...

Monday, June 09, 2008

Slight Chub

I am not in good shape.

Really, it’s true. I’m strong as an ox mentally and emotionally, which is a pretty awesome feeling, but when it comes to physical strength I’m a big old wuss. I’m soft. I’m squishy. I don’t want to be a rock, I just don’t want to be so jiggly. I’d also like my pants from 2 years ago to fit. Right now they don’t. I can almost hear them screaming on the rare occasion on which I temporarily liberate them from the dark depths of the closet to see if they can stretch over my expanded backside without popping every strained stitch that holds them together.

I didn’t obsess about my weight before the wedding. I refused to get sucked into the whole I-must-look-perfect-in-those-pictures mentality. I knew I’d look as pretty as possible and that would be that. What was more important was how I felt – and I felt great… mentally and emotionally. Physically I felt OK, but now it’s time to bump that up a notch. I would have felt better without the handful of pictures that hinted at back fat and/or multiple chins.

Over the weekend my darling husband and I were talking about fitness and weight and all sorts of fun subjects and I mentioned that many of my friends who went on strict exercise and diet regimes before their weddings ended up gaining fairly significant amounts of weight post-nuptuals. Most of the time it was because they slowed down enough after their weddings to enjoy their new spouse and get comfy… which leads to some weight gain. We, on the other hand, started our progressive addition of 15-20 lbs each about 6 months into our relationship when we moved in together. He says that since then we’ve “maintained a slight chub”. He’s right.

It’s time to banish the slight chub. Those pants deserve to see the light of day once more.

Labels: ,

7 What people are saying:

Blogger Lynilu rambles...

Your lament sounds strangely familiar. I wonder why? Hmmm.

Well, anyway, good luck and good health!!

6/09/2008 01:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Well share any tips that work for you, I'll try anything within reason.

6/09/2008 01:48:00 PM

 
Blogger Kerri. rambles...

Making habits towards good health can be tough. (Believe me, I know. It took me nine weeks to make the gym go from "forced" to "habit.") But I know you can do it.

It helps to have a cheat day. Chris does that and it works very well for him. Eat healthy all week and then blow it all on Saturdays. It makes it easier to skip a morning danish when you can house a whole pizza on Saturday. ;)

Good luck - and let's get together soon!! Old marrieds.

6/10/2008 11:59:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

TEHEE, that is so funny. I'm sure a little chub can't get you! Good Luck!!!

6/10/2008 01:34:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

This may be slightly inappropriate, but what the hell -- Slight chub is more cushion for the pushin'.

6/10/2008 09:51:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Lynilu - Seems to be a common theme, eh? ;-)

Sandra - So far the only thing I seem to be doing on a consistent basis is feeling bad about it. I need a plan. At least I'm eating healthier. So far I feel better, but I look the same.

Kerri - Chris is a pillar of strength. I really like the cheat day. That man is a rock. You're not bad yourself, mama! Yes, get together soon for sure!

Safa - You'd think I'd be able to combat a few extra lbs... but I'm a wimp. We'll see how it goes!

Cajunvegan - Slight chub is better than full-on chub. That's true. And Matthew did say that if I lose my ass he'll be upset. I love that man.

6/11/2008 11:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Brown English Muffin rambles...

I know that chub feeling...especially when last years pants won't feet...it's the most annoying feeling ever really!

6/11/2008 02:05:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home