round and round...

Saturday, April 04, 2009

So tired

The past couple nights Jude has reverted to his first week nighttime behavior pattern. Which means that he will sleep for 3-4 hours at a time during the day, no matter how hard we try to keep him awake, and then at night he'll be awake for 2 hours at a time, 30 minutes of that he's nursing, and the other 90 minutes are spent either staring wide-eyed at Matthew and me or screaming inconsolably.

It's so hard when your child is crying and you have no idea what to do to help. Jude scrunches up his face and he looks at me pleadingly with those huge, dark, tear-filled eyes and I just want to die because I can't make the bad stuff go away.

Everything you try seems fruitless. Shhhh-ing will work for 5 minutes and then just when you think he's drifting off to dreamland the screaming starts up again. Swaddling will work for a little while, but then teeny weeny Houdini wiggles his way free just enough to have a tiny arm flail up in the air and jolt himself out of sleepiness. Walking around the apartment while bouncing and singing is a miracle cure... as long as the walking and singing never stops.

This is what life is like with a 3 week old baby. It's typical. It's totally normal and everyone struggles with this stage.

If only knowing that made it even one bit easier.

Labels: , ,

2 What people are saying:

Blogger Lynilu rambles...

Knowledge is wonderful, but it doesn't allow any of you to rest, does it? Hard times, I know. I remember it well.

I suppose you've already thought of this, but have you checked your diet for anything that might be suspect for causing his discomfort? Just thought I'd ask. Good luck.

4/04/2009 06:12:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

oh huge hugs... it's so rough at the start, I remember!!!
we used a Peke Moe sleep sack for our little houdini and he slept so well in it.
I agree with the previous comment, it may be worthwhile looking at what's in your diet too. My boys were both dairy intolerant (we found out unfortunately after breastfeeding failed for us)... but apparently I could have restriced dairy in my diet and it would've been alot better for them.
all the best to you xxxxxxxx

4/05/2009 03:40:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home