round and round...

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Wilma needs a BAM BAM!


Flinstones references rock. Get it... rock? Damn, I'm hilarious when faced with a crisis courtesy of Mother Nature. Wilma is coming our way. She's sped up a bit since hovering over Mexico like a lush looking for that last drop in a bottle of $3 schnappes. They say she'll make landfall on the west coast of the Florida peninsula by daybreak tomorrow. Daybreak this time of year is around 7:30, so we'll get her by late morning/early afternoon from what they tell us. They are smart people. That's what we're supposed to think anyway. They sure didn't have Katrina's path figured out very far ahead of time (in relation to Florida, that is), but that's another story for another day. Poor meteorologists, seems like their whole job's purpose is to have people hate them.

We're ready for Wilma and her merry band of cartoon disasters. We have no hurricane shutters and only 2 small candles and a couple of flashlights, but more importantly we have a 6-pack... scratch that, 5 left *gulp*... of Red Stripe beer (those Jamaicans know about beer, who woulda thunk it?), a lovely bottle of Hendricks gin (if you've not had the pleasure of Hendricks you should try it very soon - don't be afraid of the price, it's worth every penny... ask MT, he'll tell you. We drank it on the rocks at this chi-chi hotel bar one night and neither of us had ever had gin on the rocks before - this is the only gin I'll ever drink that way again), and a bucket of mojitos. We'd probably get sick of making them individually, so there's a bucket of the stuff in the freezer. A bucket of mojitos. That sounds decadent. Except for the bucket part. Bucket is a decidedly non-decadent word.

COMPLETELY UNRELATED RANDOM SAMPLING OF MELISSA THINGS:

1) K & I were talking about prison the other day. Yes, prison. I think it started because I said I'd never dream of fighting her because she'd kick my ass. She said of course she would, and then she told me that she would hope that she could hold her own in women's prison. If she were stuck there awhile she'd shave her head and be a real big bitch. She'd make another woman "her bitch" and then they'd leave her alone. She inserted a disclaimer stating that she had NO earthly idea why she'd thought it out. This is the piece de resistance, and I quote, "I don't wish jail on anyone though- that's some seriously scary shit. Anyways, back to the point, yeah, I'd beat your ass." That's love, folks. Plain and simple.

2) I reccommend Anna Nalick's debut album called Wreck Of The Week. The man and I picked it up at Target (don't you just love that place?) this afternoon when we were out and it's great. Breath (2AM) is my favorite. It really reminds me of this past Winter/Spring in New York. Very beautiful and painful all at the same time. "Winter just wasn't my season..."

3) Einstein Bros. Bagels makes a mean sandwich. We stopped there for lunch this afternoon and it was tasty and hearty and good and not overly unhealthy. They have fresh fruit as a side dish if you want it, I think that's nice.

4) The new Goodwill Superstore that opened this week in Miami is excellent. I spent $55 and got a Gap madras plaid blazer (so super cute), a vintage Sasson wool jacket that fits like it was cut for me, a grey cashmere sweater (oh yeah, that baby was $6!), a vintage LeTigre brown argyle sweater, a black sequined silk tank with gorgeous paillettes from Oleg Cassini circa. '78 or so that I'll probably wear to Julie's birthday party in 2 weeks (I don't think I've ever looked forward to going to NYC more than I do for her party), a Banana Republic woven blouse that's blue and looks so nice, and a pair of maroon Doc Martens that have never been worn. When I say never been worn, I think I might be the 2nd person to ever try them on at all. They're perfect. All that for $55. I'm in shock. Oh, and the man got this great hot pink button down that has pearl snaps like a western shirt, a pair of wonderfully broken-in black boots, a pair of Nike ACG waterproof trail trekkers, and a set of amazing chrome/glass rocks and shot glasses with an matching ice bucket all for $45. Combine our 2 totals and you could get my Docs or his ACGs. It was the day of deals all around.

5) I really like bagels.

6) Duke just pissed on the rug in the dining room *again* 20 minutes after being outside for an hour. WTF? He had ample opportunity to go to the bathroom when he was out roaming around the yard, but NO, he pees all over the dining room rug.

3 What people are saying:

Blogger Blue rambles...

damn, i'm so jealous of your shopping bargains! i just love Doc martens, we have a factory shop about an hour or so from here and i keep meaning to go....

anna nalick - pure class - breathe (2am) just oozes reality. sapphire introduced me to it and I haven't stopped listening since.

now, about wilma - wilma, peg back your ears and listen, honey - better ease off that gas pedal and reverse back across the ocean, burn yourself out and disintegrate like the last bit of bathwater down the plughole. and thats an order.

take care, melissa,

cat & sapphire xx

10/24/2005 07:28:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

i love the einstein challah sandwiches, they have a raspberry mayo of some sort that is just THE BEST.
glad to hear that you've weathered the storm well after talking to you this afternoon, darling. hope duke gets a chance to pee OUT IN THE GRASS soon since his legs are crossed tighter than a nun's.
~K

10/24/2005 05:16:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

I hope you're safe & sound, & were able to get more booze.
As for Duke...I dunno. Tiger peed in the dining room too. Turned out it's psychological.

10/25/2005 09:31:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home