round and round...

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Is it hot in here?


Or have I prematurely landed myself in the fiery depths of hell? And for once, I'm not making reference to Miami. I mean that I think I may have doomed myself to an overheated eternity today. As if I wasn't already headed in that general direction...

You see, I was listening to NPR, as I always do at the office, and there was coverage of relief and rescue efforts in Pakistan and India after the devastating earthquake that has now killed more than 43,000. People were pouring their emotions out over the airwaves. Grief was so evident and raw. Kids, old people, everyone who spoke was so obviously in unbelievable pain.

And then the bad things started. The bad things... the virtual nails in my coffin, as it were. The bad things were the giggles I was getting because I am sickly amused for some reason at the Indian/Pakistani accent. I can't help it. I just think it's funny. It sounds so exaggerated and unlike my own (which I'm sure sounds totally goofy to them) that when I hear someone speaking with that accent it makes me grin a bit and laugh on the inside.

I could almost feel the flames licking my ankles as I giggled to myself. I had visions of Apoo from The Simpsons that I just couldn't shake. I'd try to think about something else, and there would be Apoo. Standing there in my mind, offering me a squishy. I'm awful, I'm fully aware of it. So, if you're ever planning a trip to hell, remember to stop on by and say hello.

*FOR GOD'S SAKE, whoever you are... STOP clipping your fingernails IN YOUR CUBICLE. I can hear you and it makes me want to vomit. That is not OK to do at work. NOT OK.*

0 What people are saying:

Post a Comment

<< Home