round and round...

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Stoooop it up

We did it - we had the first stoop sale. A friend and I sat outside selling our wares for about 4 hours. I made $80 selling items of absolutely no import, most of them for $1. I put out a couple boxes of books, I charged a dollar for each and I wasn't expecting them to move much. The books were the hit of the sale! Almost everyone who stopped by bought a book. I was glad to sell them to people who were excited about reading them. The best feeling of the day was the woman who bought a jacket I had made over the winter and she was so keen on the fact that I made it that she also bought a skirt I made. She took one of my cards and wants to know when I have more inventory. That was very satisfying. I put out a lot of clothes, 4 pieces I made, and all of the ones I made sold. Granted, they were super cheap and all except the jacket were at least 2 yrs old, but it felt good to have people get so happy when they found out I made the pieces they were buying. Especially with pieces I wasn't super thrilled with. Makes me think once I get an inventory I'm happy with I'll get a lot of good feedback.

My friend made some good cash, too. We're going to do another one in September since we have more to sell. I'm going down to Kristie's this weekend because she's moving to LA (I know... LA) and I'm bringing back a few boxes of things to see at the next stoop sale. We're going to print up some fliers and put them around the neighborhood and hopefully make twice as much the next time. It's nice to sit outside on a beautiful day, make some money and get rid of stuff you really don't need or want anymore. Purging felt awesome!

Labels:

3 What people are saying:

Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

Sounds like you did pretty well, and was great to get your hand-made stuff sold to someone who really appreciated it! Maybe she'll tell all her friends and you will be busy filling orders!
:-) that'd be cool!

8/09/2007 10:34:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

That sounds awesome! You know I was born and raised in NYC and never had a stoop sale *bummer*. Now I live in a DC suburb and will probably NEVER have a yard sale LOL! I don't know, doesn't sound like much fun ya know? I guess stoops are more fun because you can watch more interesting and colorful people walk by and not be as bored.

8/09/2007 03:01:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown rambles...

I learned what a stoop sale is now! Cool!!

8/11/2007 10:33:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home