round and round...

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Life's a beach...


... Dog Beach, that is. Dog Beach is a little fenced off portion of the pond in Prospect Park near our apartment where dogs can to swim. Super cool, right?

All winter Duke would pull on his leash and try his damnedest to get close to the water no matter how cold it was. He wanted to get in there so badly! It was tough to keep him from galloping into the icy water. Now that it's warm enough we've taken him there a few times and he's yet to go in past his elbows. I don't know what his problem is. He sees the other pups in the water and you can tell he wants to go in, but he gets to his elbows and then promptly does an about face back to dry land. I even got in yesterday figuring I could coax him in and then he'd realize how much he loves it and he'd be the best little swimmer and I'd be so proud, yada yada. I took my shoes off and waded in up to my knees. He stood about 3' closer to the shoreline and grinned at me the whole time. Weirdo.

Instead of courageously and gleefully all morning we went for a 2 hour walk. We were 5 blocks from our apartment when he decided he had gone far enough and laid down right in the middle of the street - chin on the ground, front paws splayed out to his sides, the picture of exhaustion! Try moving 96 lbs of stubborn mutt (a very dry 96 lbs) from the middle of anywhere, it's not pretty.

Labels:

4 What people are saying:

Blogger Jenn rambles...

I laughed out loud when I pictured Duke in the street. Funny!!

6/11/2007 12:25:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Duke is a boy who knows his own mind!

6/11/2007 12:34:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

Chicago has a dog beach...I so wanna go and take Lucie. It's about an hour away...am hoping to make a day of it this summer...

Ya gotta love 'em....dogs have such personality! :-)

6/12/2007 09:03:00 AM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Cesar Milan always says a tired dog is a good dog.

6/13/2007 03:03:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home