round and round...

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

No, Kermit, it actually is pretty easy being green...


I just subscribed to our electric utility's green energy option. This basically means that evil, evil ConEd will now supply our electricity from a green energy source. Evil, evil ConEd will continue to bill us on one consolidated invoice, but instead of the money going to evil, evil ConEd it will go to the green electricity provider of my choosing - with a nominal distribution charge still going to evil, evil ConEd, a'course. We'll only be paying a penny more/kilowatt hour. Pennies, people. Pennies to help out Mother Nature. Who, incidentally, we as a species have been screwing since we lit that first fire. And then came cars. You know the rest.

I chose to get 35% wind power/65% river-to-run hydropower instead of fossil fuel electricity from a conventional source. All the power comes from New York state, which is also a cool thing. The hydropower comes from facilities that transform the motion of the river water into electricity without rerouting or destroying natural habitats and the wind power comes from wind turbine parks all over the state like the one in the picture.

Some people have fought the installation of turbine parks in upstate NY for various reasons - not the least of which is property value. In spite of the objections, wind power is a growing source of energy in the state and that's got to be better for us all than burning ever increasing amounts of fossil fuels and creating massive amounts of carbon emissions... regardless of what it does to property values upstate. In this trade off game I'm betting on the turbines.

In the interest of full disclosure I should mention that evil, evil ConEd provides a number of green power suppliers to choose from and they make it super easy to switch. They even noted the ease of switching to green power in this month's bill. I guess maybe that means they can be upgraded to simply evil ConEd. I like progress.

P.S. I still feel that Strip Bar class in my thighs. Great googly moogly.

Labels:

5 What people are saying:

Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

Hopefully someday, we near Chicago will get that same option, from our evil COM-Ed....

I think those fields of turbine windmills are hauntingly beautiful...not sure why, but I do.

Psst--btw THANKS for the post about Craigslist. (*THWACK* -- Sorta like the "you coulda had a V8" LOL!! DOH!) I emailed the realtor and told her to do it - with pics. TODAY. (I should be her manager, as much as I prod her to do her job!) Thanks for the info and nudge!!

Have a great week

4/17/2007 09:25:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I think that is just awesome Melissa and would definitely choose that option if it is ever offered here down South!
Great Googly Moogly? LMAO

4/17/2007 12:12:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

We have the option here, too. We can choose 200, 300, 400 or 500+ kwh for 2½ cents per kwh.

However, being the cynic I am, I don't trust RG&E to actually purchase that green energy on my behalf. I can see them pocketing the money and slapping each other on the back, congratulating each other on yet another way of fleecing the energy consumer...

4/18/2007 02:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

retro girl - I agree, I think there's something regal about them. Not sure what, though... Awesome about craigslist. That should generate some traffic for you guys - I hope!

Patti - You never know, they might just bring it your way soon. With all the pressure about climate change we're bound to see some things happen.

Pat - I totally hear you. I'm silencing the cynical (read: realistic) voice in my head that says this is all bunk and ConEd is pocketing my pennies.

4/19/2007 11:17:00 AM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

I did this too, it's a cool program. I just wish they'd make affordable solar panels, so everyone could afford to have their own but they cost a FORTUNE.

4/30/2007 11:23:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home