round and round...

Thursday, April 26, 2007

$377


That's how much I just spent at the vet. Ouch. Don't get me wrong, I'd pay pretty much anything I had to in order to ensure Duke's health and happiness... but $377? He didn't have a procedure of any sort, no surgery, no stitches, no emergency care things. He got a rabies booster, a heartworm test, a skin scrape because the vet wants to make sure he doesn't have any of the nasty bugs he used to have in Miami, some sort of fecal thing for which I must take a poo sample (gag), 2 other shots of some kind that I can't remember right now, and a thyroid test to see if he needs to go back on meds.

We leave for Paris in 2 weeks and I can't help but think of all the things we could have done with $377 in le Quartier Latin. It was well worth it, though. Now I have the peace of mind that my little (read: large) pumpkin (read: hairy child) is well taken care of. He's up to 96 lbs now!

I'm lucky I got out of there with my dog. Everyone at the animal hospital loved him (surprise, surprise) and we spent an extra half hour there just so everyone could gush over him and play with him and talk to him and give him treats. They all can't believe that at one point early in his life he was left for dead on the side of the road. He's Duke the Amazing Wonderdog, that's for sure. He's defied death twice now. Once for real and once for... well, for some reason that no one can comprehend. And he's doing just fine.

Labels:

5 What people are saying:

Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I feel ya, sometimes it's just freakin' ridiculous how much a vet visit can cost but what wouldn't we do for our furkids? Yay for Paris!

4/27/2007 09:11:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenn rambles...

I think if you go read Colin's last post...you might feel a little better. But still...anything 'non-budgeted' hurts though!

Oooohhhh, Paris! How fun. I'll be in London at the same time...

4/27/2007 10:41:00 AM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

Vets charge way too much, I agree....but when it comes to our babies...our furry-4-legged kids, there's no question. I'd pay all the money I had to save Lucie's life, if needed. I know she'd die trying to save my life....

He's absolutely gorgeous! I'm so happy you have him with you, and he's doing well.

Paris? Wow! I AM jealous!

4/29/2007 10:16:00 AM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

We're going in for the heartworm test next week, ugh, yes it's expensive! Last year I did the test at the vet but then bought the meds online and it was a lot cheaper -- and it's the same exact stuff. You can save some money that way, although your vet will balk at you not getting it from them, they'll give you an RX if you say that's what you want to do.

4/30/2007 11:20:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

We do our own immunizations on the "kids" except for rabies. Once a year, I take them in for the vet to eyeball, get a rabies shot, then take them home and administer flea treatment and immunizations that we buy online. It's WAY cheaper and I think it really pisses off the vet too!

BUT -- our male cat just spent a night at the vet's for a "fever of unknown origin" and it ran us just about $300 for all the tests and care. Fortunately, I have $100/month budgeted for our fur-babies' care.

5/01/2007 12:03:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home