round and round...

Friday, August 15, 2008

It was bound to happen


I've been saying for the last 2 months that I was surprised to even find out I'm pregnant since I haven't been sick once. A little too braggadocios? Perhaps.

Today after work as I walked down 7th Ave I hurled into a municipal trash can. It came out of the blue and it was spectacular.

I've never been a neat puker. I make noise, it comes out my nose, I inevitably cry. Every. Single. Time.

A man who looked to be about 70 offered me his cloth handkerchief and wouldn't take no for an answer. He put his hand on my back and made sure I was steady while I wiped my mouth and blew my nose. When I had cleaned myself up as best I could I looked at him with apparent despair. He said calmly, "Just toss that, honey. I've got more at home." He asked me if I would be alright and I mumbled something about thinking I'd be OK and that morning sickness is a misleading name. He smiled wide, nodded his head knowingly, patted my back, and told me to "get you both home safe".

It was that single act of extreme kindness from a complete stranger that made this a beautiful day. And people say New Yorkers are cold and soulless.

Labels: ,

8 What people are saying:

Blogger Unknown rambles...

Okay, stranger. I figured I'd check out your blog since it's been forever and O.M.G. Congrats!! Not on the puking in the street thing, but on the baby in general. Oh, and of course the kindness of strangers is waaaaaaaaaaaay better in new york than in DC... people here wouldn't even look at you.

Congratulations again, and i miss you!!

8/18/2008 08:45:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

What a sweet man! I can't believe you puked on the street - that totally sounds like something that would happen to me!
Feel better soon sweetie!

8/18/2008 09:41:00 AM

 
Blogger Lynilu rambles...

Isn't it reassuring to meet the good people in our world? We see so much ugliness that an act like this is refreshing and restoring of our faith in our human counterparts.

8/19/2008 11:08:00 AM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

That made me get all teary eyed. Bless his heart....and yours (and baby's!)

After the ranting about my morning...I feel bad. There really are some kind hearted souls in this world. I'm glad there was one near you that day. Maybe he was an angel....ya never know. *Grin*

Take care...

8/22/2008 04:37:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown rambles...

That's right - we do care sometimes!

8/25/2008 10:50:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

I cry too when I throw up, ever since I was little. This must have been so awful for you at first. I love when kindness pops up when you least expect it, but really need it. Caring about others is what it is all about.

Hope you continue to have more beautiful days!

8/25/2008 09:13:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

I love New York stories like that, ones that shatter the "rude" image. What a cool guy.

And you just left a comment at my place about gunshots, you better be ok!~!

8/26/2008 11:39:00 PM

 
Blogger Brown English Muffin rambles...

wow are you sure you didn't step outside into the twilight zone and weren't really in the city city!!!

I threw up only once but felt sick every morning!! It went away as quickly as it came but at that time that thought really didn't matter to me!

Ginger gum really really helped! Crackers didn't help worth a damn....it just gave my stomach more stuff to come up when the time came! LOL

9/23/2008 01:54:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home