round and round...

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

When it rains...

It's pouring.

My husband will likely lose his job by the end of January. This is mainly due to the fact that his boss is an absolute failure in life and does far too much coke to succeed in anything. Unless a miracle happens my husband will not get his paycheck this week and neither will the 25 people he works with. That includes men who commute from the Bronx to make $12/hr to support their families, a Polish couple who have worked there since they came to this country years ago, hardworking people. His boss's response when asked what these employees are supposed to do without their paychecks was, "They should have a savings and not live paycheck to paycheck." This is precisely how far outside reality this man lives. A savings?

My maternity leave, which I thought was going to be 12 weeks, is actually only 6... at 66% of my pay. This doesn't seem remotely OK to me. 6 weeks? I work for a health and wellness company! A health and wellness company should know that 6 weeks is a joke. I'm not covered under FMLA because I won't have been with my employer for 12 months by the time I take my leave, so I don't have the option of extending my leave to 12 weeks with unpaid time off. I'm trying to finagle the system to get a few more weeks out of it (trying to use all my sick time and vacation time, figure out how I can extend short-term disability somehow, etc.), but it's daunting. Plus, with the prospect of Matthew unemployed it will mean that the dream of getting to stay home with our baby and not go back to work is all but gone.

It's pouring, folks. Cats and dogs.

Labels: , ,

8 What people are saying:

Blogger Caroline rambles...

I am so sorry! I hope something will come for Matthew in the next few weeks.

I hate how the US looks at maternity leave. I think it should be at least 6 months with full pay. Did you see Sicko? Watching that will make you want to move to France.

Hang in there. It will all be OK and work out somehow.

((hugs))

1/07/2009 09:55:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Take a deep breath honey. I know it must seem daunting right now. That sucks about Matthew's boss. What a TOOL.

1/07/2009 12:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

I'm so sorry sweetie! This world is so freakin' crazy right now. I will pray for you both that things work out somehow in your favor.

*HUGS*

1/07/2009 06:29:00 PM

 
Blogger Lynilu rambles...

Savings???? On $12 per hour??? That guy is nutz and can't see beyond his own messed up nose!!

I'm so sorry. I'm sure you are feeling like the breath was just sucked out of your lungs, but hang on. You'll figure it out.

Life isn't a lot of fun for many of us these days.

1/07/2009 07:21:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Caroline - Tell me about it! I think the Swedes have it best. They get a year off... paid! You're right - it will be OK. We'll make it so.

Patti - Tool for sure! Major, major toolbag.

Retro - Thank you, my friend. When Isaac comes you'll have to hug him a lot for me, OK?

Lyn - Right??!!?! Savings. This man is insane. Life might not be a lot of fun, but we're trying to make the best of it. Matthew said yesterday, "Just think, baby, someday we'll be able to tell our kids that we lived through the Great Depression of 2009 and we were happy." He's amazing.

1/07/2009 11:41:00 PM

 
Blogger Lynilu rambles...

No wonder you love him! :)

1/08/2009 11:39:00 AM

 
Blogger Anisa rambles...

raining here too...

but it will all pass. and somehow, someway, it will all be OK.

maternity leave in the US is a friggin joke. ridiculous.

fingers crossed for a miracle and matthew keeps his job for a bit longer at least...

1/08/2009 12:49:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

It WILL work itself out. Trust (((hugs))).

His boss is a douche!

Try to work as close to your due date as possible to get more days on the back end. Also see what the possibility is for a flex schedule when you return to work. I know it's not the same though...

1/12/2009 04:35:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home