round and round...

Monday, December 12, 2005

Potluck Can Be Scary


For the second time this holiday season I am met with the question of whether or not I am behaving in a Scrooge-esque manner. This is the latest quandry:

I recevied an email this morning at work that was generated last week. I only got it today because I'm a contractor and most people don't know I'm here. It's much better that way, I'm not complaining one bit. Since most folks don't know I'm here they don't have my email address to invite me to a holiday potluck lunch and gift exchange with the people on my floor on Thursday. Here's the thing - I don't want to attend. Really. My reasons are many. Let's go over them quickly.
  • 1) I've been in the womens' bathroom when several of the potluck participants have not washed their hands after doing their requisite business. That's nasty. There are many more who give their hands a little splash, but there is no friction involved and certainly no soap. Rinsing is not washing, people. If they do that at home I don't want to eat anything they may bring in for the potluck. The thought of what might be in those dishes makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

  • 2) I know 5 people at this office (not counting my security guard buddies at the front desk downstairs). Those 5 people are sometimes cool, but most of the time not so much. Think Cuban Lady, Texas Lady and my boss, folks. I'm not looking to go out and spend time & money on a gift to exchange with any of them. Besides, I'd have no one to talk to at the lunch and would wish I was back at my desk the whole time.

  • 3) I really don't have the money to go out and buy a $25 gift for a stranger. Plus, I don't want to. I hate forced gift-giving. I love to exchange gifts with family and friends and be involved in some sort of Secret Santa or Hanukkah Harry (you know you love it) with people I actually know. But not with these dirty-handed strangers.


So, here's the worst part - I just got another email with a spreadsheet attached listing everyone on the floor and what they're bringing for the potluck next to their name. If you haven't given your RSVP (like it's needed, puh-lease, they just assume everyone is coming) there's a blank space next to your name where presumably a food item of some sort should be residing. Which means, you guessed it, I've got a blank-blank-a-doo space next to my lovely moniker. Instructions state to fill in your spot and send it back to the writer. But the thing is, I'm not filling the damn thing out! No way. Not doing it.

Scrooge-esque? I don't think so. As Kristie said, "Maybe if they gave you benefits you'd think about going." As it stands now, I'll be at my desk for lunch on Thursday enjoying a lovely sandwich and maybe some Triscuits. Happy holidays to me.

5 What people are saying:

Blogger Melissa rambles...

Maybe a couple of good smacks, though. That might be fun. Certainly would fill me with holiday cheer. Baha!

12/12/2005 01:34:00 PM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

(I love Christmas), I love the feel good factor - but at the same time totally agree with what you said. It's like enjoy yourself by numbers? Even when you actually know the people, our Xmas "bash" is a nightmare, it's sooo "have fun, or else", I generally have a bad reaction and get terribly drunk...

12/13/2005 10:08:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Ah, Colin, if there was going to be booze present at this potluck I'd be there for sure. Ha!

12/13/2005 10:34:00 AM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

I bet that the nonhandwashers DO wash before food prep - they probably figure that they're not really handling anything in the bathroom, so why really wash? (I use soap, but only because I'm a Virgo.)

12/14/2005 01:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

I think I'm super grossed out about it because of the Virgo thing. You're right, K Lance.

dkbp73 - damn right! Extra peanut butter and I almost forgot about the chocolate! Thanks! :)

12/14/2005 09:42:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home