round and round...

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Censor this!


I've been thinking this morning about a post written by Sandra that deals with censorship. Well, censorship and idiots. The nutshell version is that she made a comment on another blogger's blog that someone shouldn't use the word "gay" interchangably with the word "stupid". Her example was taken from a comment another reader made on this other blogger's blog that "playing games at a baby shower was 'gay'". Gay? Sandra's point was that unless this person intended to say that playing games at a baby shower was homosexual perhaps they should examine their personal vernacular for a better-suited word. Makes total sense to me. She commented as such and the other blogger deleted her comment. She then discussed on her own blog post the deletion and ruminated on social responsibility. Which, by the way, is totally her right since it is, after all, her very own blog.

Several people commented (including this dear blogger) that we agreed with her about the offensive implied meaning of "gay", as it's clearly not a word that means stupid or dumb or ridiculous or anything having to do with something other than homosexuality. Then, someone posted anonymously that Sandra was wasting her time and should be concerned with more important matters - like the genocide in Darfur (I shit you not, this is what that person said) - rather than her "knee-jerk reaction" to the other blogger's censorship or the offensive language.

I have a problem with this. First of all, the commenter posted anonymously, but referred to having his/her own blog in the comment. So, it's OK to post a comment contrary to a blogger's views on a comments page, but only if it's not under your true identity? Hmm. Seems a bit cowardly to me. Second, isn't it a blogger's prerogative to blog about whatever the hell they please on their own blog? Ding ding ding! Yes, ladies and gents, it is! The other blogger can delete comments left and right to his/her heart's content! And Sandra can write about anything she likes. To tell her that her reaction is innapropriate and that she should concentrate on other things is absurd. And yet - has Sandra deleted that comment? Nope. What does that say? Isn't technology grand?

5 What people are saying:

Blogger Fish rambles...

serendipity - I've just arrived here from exactly that post on Sandra's blog. I like what you wrote. And for f#ck's sake, it's depressing that people (anonymous) can't hear a modicum of criticism in the constructive way that it is intended very occasionally, without feeling the need for histrionics?
Or a delete button.

1/11/2006 11:48:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

I truly do think that some people just don't think about it. Like they don't know that they're saying awful things. But some do know, of course, and those are the people that make me mad. The people who are ignorant simply need to be educated.

Colin, fishypoo - criticism is an acquired taste, don't you think? Too bad some folks never learn to savor it.

1/11/2006 11:55:00 AM

 
Blogger L. Britt rambles...

One of the things I respect about you is that you did not delete my comment that criticized one of your posts...in fact, you responded in a very respectful manner. Very classy, I must say. Too bad it's not a universal trait.

1/11/2006 04:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Aww, thanks, L. Britt! I appreciate that. No one has to agree with what I say. The fact that you expressed some offense made me want to respond, not delete. I firmly believe that everyone has different opinions and views and if we all thought the same way we'd be a pretty boring people.

By the by (that doesn't appear to be spelled correctly), I appreciate that you discuss things that are tough for you in an open forum on your blog. Sure, blogging can be "anonymous" to some extent, but you put yourself out there and I think it's courageous. Just in case you hadn't thought of yourself that way before - you come off as quite brave.

1/11/2006 04:33:00 PM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

I have to say, not to be contrary or anything, but I have heard it argued that "stupid" is now being considered an acceptable definition of the word "gay", in addition to "homosexual" and "silly/happy". I'm not sure how I feel about that, so I'm not going to use the word in that context.

1/11/2006 07:01:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home