round and round...

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

This Pitt isn't with Angelina

I realize this is my 3rd post of the day, so you better believe it's something worthy. This is not for the faint of heart, dear friends. I am so shocked an appalled when I hear of dog fights in the news. I wish it was a rarity. Unfortunately, I live in Miami. Miami is not the place to be if you're a dog, statistically speaking. Duke is lucky - he has a loving home and people who adore him and treat him well. Miami has one of the highest stray animal populations in the country (we see strays in our neighborhood every day, sometimes pregnant and sick - it breaks my heart). In addition, Miami has a large immigrant human population and many of those people come from what we consider "third world" countries. Entertainment in those parts of the world often includes animal fights. Cock fights, dog fights, the works. Here in the U.S. dog fights usually involve pitt bulls.

Anytime you take an animal and force it, train it, torture it into fighting you demonize that breed. Pitt bulls have born the brunt of this kind of demonization. They have gotten a terrible reputation in the public eye due to the aggression shown by a relatively small number of their kind - the ones trained to fight and kill other dogs. Pitts aren't vicious by nature. In fact, dog bites are more often from a German shepard or a labrador retriever than any of the breeds who are thought of as "aggressive", "attack" or "guard" dogs - rottweilers, pitt bulls, mastiffs, dobermans, etc.

This is a video that shows what happens when a dog is brutalized and, conversely, what happens when a dog is treated humanely. I think Duke has a little pitt bull in him (being a stray before his rescue no one knows what's mixed with the mastiff) and he's the most loving dog I've ever known. I've known pitts all my life and not one has been mean. Luckily for those dogs, their owners aren't mean, vicious people. If you can stomach it, watch this video. The next time you hear about a dog fight, or a ban on pitt bulls (like here in Miami) think about what you see here and don't jump to conclusions about the dogs involved. And please, if you get a puppy, don't dock that poor pooch's ears! It's awful.

For those of you who haven't seen him - this is Duke. My big, droopy baby dog. One of the "vicious" mixed breeds.

6 What people are saying:

Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Thank you for blogging about this, it is a terrible problem all over the US. Your pup is lovely and sweet :)

1/24/2006 05:59:00 PM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

it's not only in the US either. Very eloquently put Melissa.

Dogs are so much like children in as much as in the overwhelming majority nurture is the most important factor in their behaviour. I don’t think pit bulls or any other breed are more inclined to be violent, it’s simple how they are trained. And of course, if they are trained or bullied into bad behaviour, they have the potential to do terrible violence.

I feel the same way about dogs who are bred to the point where they physically mutate into something miserable that nature did not intend.

Maybe we should consider putting down the owners rather than the dogs.

1/25/2006 08:41:00 AM

 
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen rambles...

I LOVE Florida...but you're SO right about Pit Bulls. I've got two of my own and they are the biggest babies in the world!

(I have the very same link to that movie on my blog...it's a horrible thing, isn't it??? I can hardly stand to watch it without tearing up!)

1/25/2006 09:47:00 AM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Colin's right, pitbulls are not by nature a violent breed, they just as sweet and loving as any other breed. It's so tragic how they are abused for sick 'entertainment'.

1/25/2006 10:34:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

People make me sad. Dogs make me happy. Maybe that says something... haha! If I had my way we'd pick up every stray we see - which means we'd have no room for the humans in the house.

1/25/2006 10:35:00 AM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

hey I know, let's get all the very angry Pit Bulls and introduce them to that very strange man from A&F?

You know, tie big juicy steaks on his feet in exchange for his flip flops...

1/25/2006 12:21:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home