round and round...

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Developments


The AP wire story below came out last night about Nicole's killer. My dear friend, MT, said that he'd give anything to wish her a happy Valentine's Day. He's not alone in that wish. Reading that broke my heart. She meant more than most to him. She had a profound affect on him (as she did to almost everyone) and I'm glad every time I see him go after something he wouldn't normally have pursued, to see him come out of his shell a little and be a bit bolder than he would have before. When I see him do this I know that it's Nicole's influence. She made him see himself as he really is and that's the mark of a true friend. It makes me smile every time.

Gladly, it seems that Rudy Fleming has proven once and for all that he's lying about his mental illness. Let's hope that the judge has been convinced of this and his trial will be scheduled soon. Nicole deserves for Rudy Fleming to go to trial, to be put before a jury and have his punishment for murdering her be handed down. Nothing will be sufficient, but a conviction is what we all need.

Psychiatrist says Nicole duFresne slay suspect is fit for trial


February 14, 2006, 6:15 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) _ The man accused of fatally shooting actress Nicole duFresne during a street robbery is faking mental illness by claiming to see a "giant marshmallow man" and other visions but is fit for trial, a psychiatrist testified Tuesday.

Dr. Steven Ciric, a forensic psychiatrist at Bellevue Hospital Center, said at a hearing in Manhattan's state Supreme Court that he concluded Rudy Fleming, 20, was faking after interviewing him in December and reviewing his hospital records.

Justice Daniel FitzGerald will issue a decision on Fleming's fitness to stand trial in duFresne's killing after the hearings finish this week.

Fleming is one of six people, including two juveniles, charged in a 31-count indictment with murder, robbery and other crimes related to the slaying of duFresne in January 2005 on the Lower East Side. The 28-year-old actress, her fiance and another couple were accosted moments after they left a bar.

Witnesses told police Fleming's group demanded money but duFresne and her friends refused to give them any (this isn't true, but hey, it's an AP story *UPDATE: the NY Times didn't get the details right, either, nor did the NY Post, although that's way less surprising*). They said duFresne challenged Fleming, asking, "What are you going to do, shoot us?"

Ciric said Fleming reported visual hallucinations that included seeing the marshmallow man, a big red man and a black and white cat skulking about in his room.

Fleming also claimed he heard a voice from someone named Bobby telling him to hang himself and another from someone calling him stupid, the psychiatrist said.

"He reported visual and auditory hallucinations, seeing a giant marshmallow man, a big red man," Ciric said.

However, Ciric said, he found that the symptoms Fleming described were inconsistent, were vague and lacked details, which is characteristic of stories told by "malingerers" _ fakers. He said he believed Fleming was malingering.

"My opinion was that he was fit to stand trial at that time," Ciric said, adding that Fleming had no mental problems that would prevent his understanding the charges against him or helping his own defense.

Fleming has pleaded not guilty.

DuFresne, a native of Wayzata, Minn., who lived in Brooklyn, also was a playwright and producer. She co-wrote a play called "Burning Cage," about two women in an asylum who are targeted for brainwashing experiments with LSD. It toured in 2002 at fringe theater festivals in Canada and the United States.

11 What people are saying:

Blogger Fish rambles...

I'm lost for words...

(one glorious day perhaps the law and justice will coincide? - or is the fact that he's not marched summarily out of the court and hung from a tree the price we pay?)

what would you do?

2/15/2006 12:27:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Honestly, I'm struggling with my feelings on this one. Nicole was staunchly anti-death penalty, which makes me want him locked away for life (which is the only rational option since NY isn't a death penalty state). But, my own feelings about him lead me to believe that if left alone in a dark alley with him I'd probably kill him myself. That's scary. I seriously think I would kill the boy. And I say boy because he's 20 and isn't on the path to maturity anytime soon. 'Tis truly a sobering thought to think you'd take a life. And I think I would.

2/15/2006 12:46:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

HAAAA Awesome. You can locate his sorry ass at the jail. I should have thought of this long ago. Kristie rage is good for so many different situations! ;)

2/15/2006 02:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I'm sorry I am sick to death of these young punks or thugs or gangstas or whatever the hell they are calling themselves these days and I say exterminate them. If that makes me a crazy hard-ass sorry. I'm just sick of it. I am thirty-something and the way I see the youth of today act just makes me sick. I would have been knocked sideways on my ass if I copped half the attitude most of them do.

2/15/2006 03:30:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Patti - your sentiment is not one unfamiliar to me. Believe me. I know Rudy Fleming had a hard life. But you don't see his neighbor from that same "tough" 'hood becoming a murderer. It's hard for me to have compassion for him, despite his tender age.

2/15/2006 03:38:00 PM

 
Blogger Deadly Female rambles...

Speechless xx

2/15/2006 03:58:00 PM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

why don't you and Kristie do a swapsy - I'm sure she has someone you could "hit" for her.

Did you ever see "throw mama from the train"?

2/16/2006 11:17:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

OWWEEEEENNNNNNNN! Priceless.

2/16/2006 11:30:00 AM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

well well, I'd never have thought of you as a poo pooer

2/16/2006 12:06:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

I'm queen of the poo.

2/16/2006 12:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

The problem is Bobby. Bobby didn't tell him to hang himself soon enough, often enough, or loudly enough. Bastard.

2/16/2006 03:12:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home