round and round...

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Johnny Winton, City Commissioner, is an assclown


He's the City Commissioner and he's a ridiculous buffoon. Last night I went out to an event with my friend, Renee. It was held at a luxury condo building downtown. Basically it was a reception for realtors and people interested in buying a condo. Not us, but hey, she had tickets and we went. It was a lot of fun. Open bars with top shelf liquor, complimentary valet, live music, dancers, interesting crowd. This guy, the Commissioner, takes the mic to give a little speech about the developer and the involvement of the mayor's office and a bunch of political rhetoric to puff up his own ego and the image of the city's development plans.

People were talking amongst themselves, it was a cocktail reception after all, and folks were mingling and drinking and eating the passed hors d'ouevres. The general crowd noise got quieter when he started speaking, but everyone wasn't paying full attention. Apparently this was unnacceptable. He began to shush the crowd. Seriously. He said "Shhhhhhhh!!" into the mic as if speaking to a class of first grade children. If you've ever heard anyone blow into a microphone you know that it's a less than pleasant sound. Renee and I looked at each other in disbelief, and noticed that there was a similar reaction coming from a good portion of the crowd. Mr. Commissioner kept going. "Hey, come on now people, settle down. I'm trying to talk here. Shhhhhh! Hey, hey! You're standing in the lobby of a very expensive building, eating free food and drinking booze you didn't pay for so be quiet for a minute and let me talk. I mean it, stop talking! Ladies in the back, you there - shut your mouths. That's is - CLOSE THE BARS! If you don't serve them they'll shut up."

Wow. Pretty impolite and innappropriate, right? This was all before I knew who the hell this idiot was. It got worse. "Yeah, you might think I'm a jerk, but hey, I'm the City Commissioner and you know what? I am a jerk. Now shut up!" Great. I hope that all the out-of-towners at the reception think all of Miami government is like that. I hope they think Miami is filled with self-important blowhards who condescend their peers at every chance. I'm writing a letter to the city to let them know just how rude and embarrassing the Commissioner was last night. It's gonna be a doozy.

Almost as much of a doozy as the creepy 60 year old realtor who wouldn't leave me alone last night. At first it was innocuous conversation. Party banter, you know the type. He got drunker and drunker. Renee and I made our way to the other side of the lobby to get away from him. He found us. "It's really too bad you're not single." Why do stupid men say idiotic things like that? It's too bad? Too bad for who? If I was unnattached I still wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. He started to grab people walking by and ask, "Have you met my new girlfriend?" while pointing at me. When he slung his slimy South American old man arm around me and kissed my neck with his spitty lips I had to tell him to stop touching me. Immediately. He acted like he was just leaving on his own, but he heard me. Disgusting old man. I bet he's friends with Johnny Winton.

Highlight of the evening - the freestyle tap dancer. He was amazing. Think Savion Glover, but Latino.

8 What people are saying:

Blogger Fish rambles...

you need to move, you don't really belong there do you?

2/08/2006 12:13:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

It was a pathetic display. it really was. I just wrote a letter to the Mayor. I wonder if I'll get a response.

2/08/2006 12:34:00 PM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

Um...wow. That's a doozy of a one-two punch. I bet that the commissioner's remarks make the gossip columns. As for the gross old man...I don't even know what to say about that. Sorry.

2/08/2006 01:49:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenn rambles...

He did NOT! Who says things like that?

People can be such idiots. Like gross-spitty-lip-guy that wouldn't leave you alone.

Ewwwwww. (I just taught my daughter to say that...it'll come in handy.)

2/08/2006 04:14:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

I'm glad you wrote a letter. What about a letter to the editor too? What a creep.

2/08/2006 05:22:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

i can say that its beautifully recalled. girl, you have a way with words. have you ever considered writing a column for NP or mag? you'd be great at it.

i pinged barb again to check this out!!!!

2/08/2006 11:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Wow the old man with the spitty lips is giving me a serious case of the shivers. Good for you sending a letter please post a copy of it and let us know how it goes. BTW I found you from Fish On A Bicycle :)

2/09/2006 08:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

interested? really? send me an email and I'll fill you in....well you know what I mean

2/09/2006 09:48:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home