round and round...

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Calm Down, Melissa


I hate when I do this. When I over-analyze and work myself into a froth worrying about things that I should just let happen. I do this often. I want to stop, I do. But I'm a worrier. It's a character flaw. I don't think it was caused by my mother (when you reach adulthood there comes a time when you have to assume ownership of your life and take responsibility for the way you are, if you don't like who that is you should work on it - but don't blame your parents for everything until you die), but she had a hand in it. You see, my mom sometimes doesn't tell me things because she "doesn't want to worry me." Why do people do this? It really pisses me off. If you don't want to worry me, then perhaps it's a better game plan to tell me what's going on so I can cope with it in my own way instead of withholding until the situation is truly awful and then dumping it on my head. Like when she was diagnosed with cancer. She was going for biopsies and all sorts of exams for weeks and didn't say a word to me until she needed me to drive her to her out-patient surgery to remove her lymph nodes. Excuse me? She's fine now. Cancer-free for almost 5 years. I wish she would have told me sooner, that's all. Didn't want to worry me. Bah.

This kind of stupid worrying carries over to small things in my life that really shouldn't be a big deal. Like my recent job interview. It's the subject of my current fit of worrying. Will I get the job? Do they like me as much as I thought they liked me? Did I leave them with the impression I thought I left them with or am I just convincing myself I did? The interview was Monday. Last night I wrote both people I met with (not including guy #2 who was a complete asshat) thanking them and all that jazz. I was hoping I'd have a little reply in my inbox this morning, but nothing so far. I know it's unrealistic to expect them to have some kind of confirmation for me 4 days after the interview (or even to respond to my thank you email for that matter), but that doesn't stop me from wishing the anticipation period was over. It also doesn't stop me from worrying that I'm completely distorting the day's events in my mind and I actually screwed the whole thing up rather than put my best foot forward like I thought. I just want to know if I got the job or not so I can either get jazzed up about moving or I can be disappointed for a little bit and deal with it.

It's ridiculous. I need a hobby or something. Sheesh.

12 What people are saying:

Blogger Melissa rambles...

If everything from the sewing room and living room wasn't piled into the dining room so the guys can replace the floorboards damaged by termites, that would be my plan. I hate not having my sewing machine at the ready. Grrrrr

2/02/2006 01:02:00 PM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

Relax. You're brilliant. You'll get it. And the important thing, after all, is that you're going back to NYC, no matter what job you're getting.

2/02/2006 06:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Sapphire rambles...

I thought I was the only one who experienced that with jobs and interviews. Of course I'm usually right. It usually just doesn't happen for me and then I get depressed because I wonder why the hell I bothered with college when it does me no good.

2/02/2006 06:33:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

I really appreciate the encouragement, guys. I really do. And yes, going to New York is the prize here. It would just be great to do it with a job I like right off the bat. I'm hopeful!

2/02/2006 11:50:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

It's natural to feel the way you do when interviewing for jobs like you are...I did about 80 job interviews year before last, and just about lost my mind. Then the perfect job appeared and I'm still happy with it. It is worth the wait...and worrying doesn't change or fix anything. If I could go back, I'd have not worried about it. Easy to say in retrospect of course, but you'll find it's true.

2/03/2006 12:30:00 AM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

Wow. After hearing all these experiences from all of you, I'm glad I don't have a regular job...

2/03/2006 01:44:00 AM

 
Blogger Deadly Female rambles...

Firsly - because I can and I'm allowed to *grins* - I'm going to kick ~S~ up the backside for being so negative. Good thing I believe in her, eh??

Secondly, I know just how you feel - the waiting and that wavering of emotions is far worse than even the worst case result. Good luck, I've got fingers, toes and all flexible body parts crossed for you xx

2/03/2006 08:01:00 AM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

Oh come on Melissa, worrying is a symptom of concern isn't it - you worry because you give a toss? And at least you give a toss about things that matter.

Getting a job that you really like IS important, and your mum? Well, nuff said?

It's not as if your sitting there biting your fingernails trying to decide whether to paint cuban-fartypants-lady purple or mauve?

2/03/2006 11:08:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Colin - I'm totally adopting "give a toss" as my phrase of the week. You got testostodrone, I get give a toss. It's awesome! And yes, things that matter - thanks for pointing that out. Really.

DF - kick S's behind.

S - let her do it, you know you like it. ;)

K Lance - this is why we've been friends for ages, because you tell me I'm brilliant. I love that. Yes, be glad you're of the stage variety.

Sandra - 80 interviews?!?!?!?!??? Woman, you are amazing.

Kristie - floors will be done today, sewing machine will be operational first thing tomo AM. Yay!

2/03/2006 11:46:00 AM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

re the bean people - hold your nose and back away

2/03/2006 12:02:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

toot toot

2/03/2006 12:35:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Well, maybe not quite 80...but 1 or 2 a week for over 6 months, whatever that comes to. Sent out HUNDREDS of resumes. Sometimes I was overqualified, sometimes under - and I usually lost out to 22 yr old recent college grads with zero experience...because they're trainable and will work for less. Experience isn't as valued as you think it is.

2/03/2006 02:51:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home