round and round...

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Fingers Crossed

Interview went well. Very well. I think I'll get an offer. I hope I'll get an offer. I really have a good feeling about the position and the company and I think they'll bring me aboard. So, that's excellent. I ended up interviewing for 2 different positions while I was there. There was the one I knew about and prepared myself for, and then there was a comparable position in another division of the company. No one informed me beforehand that there would be an additional interview, so I was caught slightly off guard, but I was alright with it.

The first one went great - swimmingly well, actually. The people I interviewed with were fantastic and their approach was really nice. I'd feel good about accepting a position on their team. We finished up and guy #1 took me to see guy #2 in the other division. I could tell from little comments that guy #1 made that he wasn't sure how I'd feel about guy #2 and his team. He didn't come right out and say guy #2 is a douche, but I got his point loud and clear. Turns out he was right.

I walked into guy #2's office and he was on the phone. He motioned for me to sit. I did. He proceeded to have a 5 minute conversation about football (nothing business-related), completely unconcerned with the fact that I was waiting for him to get off the phone and interview me... and I was sitting right across the desk from him. He got off the phone and looked me up and down. Not in the creepy man-woman way, in the condescending man-thinking-a-woman-isn't-as-smart-as-him way. Which is almost worse. He looked at my resume and said to me, "I don't see anything on here to tell me that this job wouldn't scare you shitless." Hmm. Nice choice of swear words to use in a freaking corporate job interview. I especially liked the middle-aged, fat Italian New Yorker way that he said it. He then started in on how this position "means deadlines, lots of 'em, high pressure, you have no idea what kind of pressure this is... blah de blah de blah." Here's the thing, since I've been in project management for the past 9 years I actually know that it's all about deadlines and pressure. That's the job - no matter what industry. But hey, thanks for telling me what I already know. I am a woman, after all, I could have forgotten.

It went downhill from there. 17 minutes later I was still cordial, I smiled, I even sat there patiently through all 6 phone calls he had taken during the previous 16 minutes I was in his office (mmm hmm). He then said he didn't think I had any idea what the job entailed in a way that let me know loud and clear he thought I was incapable. With the fake smile still plastered on my professional mug, my response was, "Pardon my obvious ignorance, but since I wasn't informed that I'd be meeting with you today I'm completely unaware of the position details. In fact, you haven't so much as mentioned the job title yet, so perhaps if you'd give me an overview of the position I'd have a better idea." I refrained from saying that if I thought he could bend over enough past that fat gut I'd tell him to kiss my ass. If I had to work for that testostodrone I'd cry every day.

Luckily, the first interview went so well that I didn't want to jeopardize it by telling fatso where to shove it. That made me bite my tongue. I called guy #1 when I left the bldg. and left a message saying I had forgotten to ask what his target timeframe was for filling the position, in all the conversation we had it was the one thing I failed to ask. He called back not 2 minutes later and we had a great short chat about how he thinks I'd fit in well with the team and he really likes my experience and how he's happy because HR has no other candidates lined up for the position, so it should be a short process. Basically, he said they'd extend me an offer w/o saying they'd extend me an offer. I'm excitedly waiting for a call or email soon.

5 What people are saying:

Blogger Melissa rambles...

This is why I love you, K. Well, this and the fact that you're wicked cool.

1/31/2006 12:41:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenn rambles...

What were you thinking - you GIRL!?!? :-)

ICK! I am impressed by your will and composure. I want to smack the guy!

Oh - everything's crossed here too...get-the-job-vibes coming at you.

1/31/2006 12:59:00 PM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

Nice. If you get the job, I'll take a victory lap for you, and we'll use the fat douchebag as the medal platform.

1/31/2006 01:54:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

You guys should have seen him & heard him talk. You would have simultaneously laughed your asses off and smacked him silly. Again, this is one of those times I wish I were exaggerating. A Million Little Pieces - embellished. Spoke In The Wheel - all reality.

1/31/2006 02:23:00 PM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

I don't want to wish you luck, I don't think you need it...but I'm weak, so I will. The best of British luck!!

But I'm so going to steal "testosterdrone" and keep it warm and ready for the first possible opportunity.

2/01/2006 09:10:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home