round and round...

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

My Very First Time

It has happened. I've been tagged. It's my first time. Be gentle. L. Britt tagged me. Woman can write. Perhaps you should peruse her writen insights when you have a free moment.

Four Jobs I've Had
1. Paper route. Better known as Paper Girl Extraordinaire. Sort of. I was 11. It was Indiana. Indiana gets damn cold in the winter. The Indianapolis Star has 2 printings - a morning and an evening edition. I delivered the evening right after school. It was great because it let me put the most perfect, brown leather bomber jacket on layaway at some teenie-bopper store at the mall and buy the whole thing with my own money. The lining was some terrible rayon that I had convinced myself was silk, and there was a world map printed on it. It was fabulous. The route had it's bad points, too. Like when all the papers blew free of their plastic strap before I got home and I got my rain boots stuck in the thick, cold midwestern Autumn mud trying to pick the flying pages out of the neighbors' tree limbs. Or the time we had a bad blizzard and people actually complained because their papers were late.

2. Caterer. It was super tough work, but I loved it. Good cash money, steady business, and I got to cook. Even got to hire my little brother to help me on jobs when he wasn't in school. On September 11, 2001 I was at work when the planes hit. The Pentagon was in flames and everyone at the airports was stranded. Dulles was close. I had a van. My boss and I went to main terminal - he was concerned there would be women travelling with small children and maybe elderly folks who didn't have a place to stay. They couldn't get flights out and the hotels all filled up fast. We waited until the last person had been found a room before we left. We were going to bring people home with us. We had the van and each had spare bedrooms. We could fit a couple families. Later that night on the news among all the interviews I saw a man we had spent the afternoon with. He said he didn't even get our names, but if there was any chance that the 2 caterers were watching he wanted to say thanks for making sure he and his family had a roof over their heads. I didn't cook anything that day but it was the best part of that job.

3. An unnamed gig at Ralph Lauren. Yep. Sounds glam, eh? Not really. It looks great on my resume. But I wouldn't do it again.

4. Print Production Project Manager. I did fundraising for non-profits. I liked it a lot. I'm a paper geek. I like the feel of it, the ink, the tactile sensation of holding a physical result of your work in your hand. Plus, it's always nice when your hard work helps raise money for good causes.


Four Movies I Can Watch Over and Over
1. Bad Boys II. I swear to you I am not kidding. It's hilarious and the action sequences are fun. Plus, Will Smith looks great in this movie.

2. A Christmas Story. When the 24 hour marathon starts Christmas Eve I am a happy camper.

3. Garden State. Braff, you da man. I like the humor and the nothingness and the meaning.

4. The Breakfast Club/Ferris Beuller's Day Off. Either of these I can watch from any point. If I catch it on cable and it's in the middle, I'll watch it. Near the end, I'll watch it. I don't care. I will watch these movies nearly every time I stumble across them on TV.


Four Places I've Lived
1. Washington, D.C.

2. Pittsburgh, PA

3. Brooklyn, NY

4. Bloomington, IN


Four TV Shows I Love
1. "Law and Order". Say what you will, this is a great series. Besides, Jesse L. Martin - yummy. Also, we miss you, Lenny.

2. Project Runway. You're in, auf wiederzhen. Either way, I love it.

3. "House" - He's so snarky...I dig him.**No edit needed to L. Britt's answer. Snarky is the perfect word for him. Hugh Lorrie is fantastic.

4. "CSI" and "Without a Trace" - That CBS Thursday night lineup is hot. I can't believe I used "CBS" and "hot" in the same sentence. **Again, no edit needed. I think this chick has fabulous taste.


Four Places I've Vacationed
1. New York, NY (pretty funny)

2. Toronto, ON

3. Miami, FL (that makes me giggle, too)

4. Las Vegas, NV


Four Favorite Dishes
1. My mom's chicken tetrazzini, LORD IT'S TASTY. Been my favorite for as long as I can remember.

2. Beans & Franks. With big chunks of hot dog in it. I'm so serious about this.

3. Cranberry sauce - the jelly kind. I know this isn't so much of a "dish" per se, but I love the stuff.

4. Canneloni de Casa from Old Ebbitt Grill. Mmmmmmmmm


Four Sites I Visit Daily
1. eatsnarf

2. Fried Catfish and Collard Greens

3. The New York Times

4. L. Britt - she is able


Four Places I Would Rather Be Right Now
1. New York - Brooklyn, to be exact

2. Washington, DC - so I could visit my girl Kristie and see my family.

3. Paris

4. Malta or Santorini

Who's Next?
1. Kristie

2. Really, Kristie is the only person I feel I can tag, because I'm late to this whole thing and everyone's done this already (well, the people I think would do it have already done it).

3. So, if you want to do it, do it! And let me know you did it so I can come read it.

4. I mean it.

7 What people are saying:

Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Christmas just isn't Christmas without hearing, "You'll poke your eye out!!"

1/31/2006 10:44:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Daddy's gonna kill Ralphie!!!!

1/31/2006 10:54:00 PM

 
Blogger Deadly Female rambles...

Hey, sweetie, I'm with you on Bad Boys II - I don't care if it kills my credibility stone dead (if I ever had one) but I could watch that film all day....

2/01/2006 04:32:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

It's funny - some people say "Bad Boys II? Whaaaaah?", but most go "Yep, love that flick."

dkbp73 - saw your fives. Everyone beat me to the punch on this one.

2/01/2006 10:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

I originally read that as an "unarmed" gig at Ralph Loren. Which sounded really exciting.

I was a paperboy too, it sucked didn't it?

2/01/2006 12:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Actually, I liked being a papergirl. But I hated the ink all over my hands and delivering in bad weather. The pay was so tiny I can't believe I actually saved up enough for that damn jacket.

2/01/2006 01:21:00 PM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

Bad Boys II is funny, I'll give you that...but I like the original better.

And I'm glad that you read me every day!

2/02/2006 02:39:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home