round and round...

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Instinct

When someone shows you who they are, believe them. The first time.

If only it were that simple. Such a good principle. When someone shows you their true colors, see them for what and who they are. Are they vibrant? Muted? Shades of grey? Whatever that person's palette is, just see it. Believe it. Know that your eyes and instincts are not fooling you. Trust your gut.

I'm going to start doing that more often. Lately I've found myself disappointed in people and I think it's because I honestly gave some of them a bit too much credit. I extended the hope card a smidge too far. I'm a hopeful person. Sometimes you can't tell by the things I write on this blog. I'm sure I seem cynical and jaded and downright nasty at times. The underlying thing about me is that even in the darkest times of despair I retain hope for the situation, for people around me, for life in general. Unfortunately that hope in people has been tested a number of times lately.

From here on out I'm believing people when they show me who they are. When someone's intentions see the light of day I'm going to look head-on and take note of what they might be. Then and only then can I chart a course of action.

6 What people are saying:

Blogger Melissa rambles...

Yeah, riiiiight. That's who you really are. Mmm hmm. OK, tough guy.

*smooch*

5/16/2006 02:45:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

The gut instinct is usually telling us something's wrong WAY before we listen to it...you're right.

5/16/2006 02:48:00 PM

 
Blogger Bright-Eyes rambles...

It's true. I say that same opening sentence to myself all the time, word for word. Always believe them.

Doesn't mean you have to ignore them, or cut them out of your life, just recognize them for who they are.

Sorry about your dissapointments. I know the feeling.

5/16/2006 11:25:00 PM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

Amen.

5/17/2006 02:05:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I'm with you on this one. I'm a big believer in taking things at face value but listen to that inner voice as well.

5/17/2006 10:01:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenn rambles...

I suck at that. And I always think I've learned from life...until I learn again. I guess I don't have to marry the next one!

But good luck to you!

5/17/2006 10:27:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home