round and round...

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Be a beacon, how hard can that be?

Everyone needs hope. It's one of the intangibles neccessary in order to function as a person. Love, spiritual growth, ideals, hope... what would life be without these things? I'd say beyond boring, unfulfilling, flat - hopeless. Someone sent this postcard to Frank @ Post Secret this week and it touched me, made me think, stopped me in my tracks for a moment.

Isn't that what every good piece of art does? Stops you in your tracks? In conversation with someone dear to me recently the mark of great music came up. What is the mark of a really great song? We figured it's got to have something to do with making the listener take pause. Halting their mind and their swirling thoughts for a brief minute - long enough to perhaps spark a string of different thoughts, new ideas, fresh perspectives. I think that's the mark of good art in any form, whether that be a song, a painting, a handmade dress, even a postcard. Sometimes I need to take a break from my own head, my own life, my own present and take a short jaunt to somewhere beautiful or painful or different.

This postcard did that for me today. It transported me out of myself and into a place that reminded me that hope really does spring eternal. This weekend proved that to me many times over, this was just the icing on the cake. Mmm, icing.

5 What people are saying:

Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

The whole "Pay It Forward" concept really would change the world, if everyone just did it, eh?

4/24/2006 11:46:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Awesome, my FIL who passed away last December was always finding pennies and leaving pennies.

4/24/2006 01:50:00 PM

 
Blogger Bright-Eyes rambles...

i read
"Be a bacon"

Then got all hungry for bacon. What if I left pieces of bacon around? Probably wouldn't have the same effect....

hmmmm bacon

4/24/2006 04:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenn rambles...

What a cool postcard! It somehow reminded me of a street fair I went to a long time ago. There were a couple guys - really raggedy looking...almost homeless looking and they kept approaching people. As I got closer, I started to dread the fact that I knew they were going to ask for money. But when they approached me...they said, "Hey - can you spare a smile?"

I could. And then I watched as people came after me...the look of dread turning into smiles and laughter as they passed by the guys.

4/24/2006 09:39:00 PM

 
Blogger Deadly Female rambles...

What a beautiful thought xx

4/26/2006 05:14:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home