round and round...

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Prosim = please

Prague is mobbed. The whole universe is vacationing here this weekend. Every street is crowded beyond capacity. Every site is crammed with people. I think half of Germany is here. Let me say something snarky - Hey Germans, stop being such dicks! You cannot take up an entire sidewalk and act like you don't see someone who needs to get past you and your schnitzel-eating fat ass. What is it with Germans and awful tourist manners? And English, don't get so bloody drunk that you stumble, trip on the cobblestones, then create a pile of idiots groaning about whatever football team you're into in the middle of New Town Square. Stag weekends are not excuses for foolish and offensive behavior in a foreign country simply because you can afford the beer here.

The beer here is remarkably good. People drink it with breakfast, and no, I am not kidding at all. We had one with eggs this morning and we'll probably have another 2 with lunch. Pivo, prosim!



That being said, Americans, can you please learn some Czech before you fly all the way over here? Please, thank you, excuse me, good day.... those are not literary marvels that can only be mastered by a linguist. It takes only a moment to utter a phrase in Czech and it makes the biggest difference to the people who live in the city you've just invaded. So far, you Americans haven't been an embarrassment. I've been pleasantly surprised, I must say. But this language thing is irritating. Just learn a few words, ask a local how to say something - then say that same thing to the next person you talk to. It's brought a smile to the faces of everyone I've spoken to so far.

Labels: , , ,

2 What people are saying:

Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

True, "The Ugly American" is not the only inconsiderate traveler. I just notice them more, as if I'm somehow 'responsible' for their behavior!!!

MMMMMM....beer.

5/09/2008 03:42:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Sandra - I feel the same way! I want to apologize to every local when I see a tourist being an idiot. When the idiot is American it's ten times worse.

5/09/2008 03:58:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home