round and round...

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Damnit

My GSB test was positive. Group B Strep is a bacteria harmless to adults that lives in the various private bits of up to 40% of women. In infants it can prove to be life threatening in rare cases. This is why pregnant women get a strep B test between 35 and 37 weeks. I had mine last week. Tonight I found out it was positive.

It's a simple enough fix - you get IV antibiotics in labor after your water breaks every 4 hours. I just really didn't want to have an IV. Luckily I'll be able to ask for a heparin lock so that they don't have to keep reinserting an IV or leave me hooked up to tubes and a pole. That means I'll still get to have the mobility I want during labor and delivery. I just don't get away with no IV as we'd hoped.

I'm still a little bummed about it, though. Nothing I did could have either prevented or brought on the strep B, so I can't feel bad about being a carrier. At least there's that.

4 What people are saying:

Blogger Lynilu rambles...

Aw, shoot. But I guess the good think is that they know about this and check for it, right? Better safe ....

2/26/2009 10:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Lyn - Exactly. They know what to look for and if they find it they take preventative measures. Pretty smart. I would just prefer not adding insult to injury with a needle in my wrist in addition to labor pains... but I'm sure I can handle it. ;-)

2/27/2009 03:06:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

Sorry to hear this...but as long as they can safely give you the antibiotics and baby will be okay, that's all that matters. You're one strong gal...I'm convinced that you can move mountains.

*HUGS*

We just MIGHT bring home babies at the same time lol, you're right! We'll have to swap pics!

2/27/2009 04:37:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

It is better to know and at least you are not beating yourself up about it (as I would be). Wishing you and Baby the best Melissa!

2/27/2009 08:58:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home