round and round...

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Squeeze, cramp, spasm, repeat.

Braxton-Hicks contractions are strange. I started having them about 2 weeks ago. The midwives say everything is A-OK in there, so I'm not worried about them. They're just strange. The first time it happened I knew right away what it was and I didn't freak out at all. I just had to lean against a gate on my walk home and take some deep breaths.

I know now all those books we've read really have sunk in. Pretty amazing. I feel we're prepared. Well, we're as prepared as we can be. Which is to say that we are well educated about childbirth and we are armed with copious information.

That wonderful education also means that we are fully prepared to know absolutely nothing once labor actually starts. Flexibility is the key. We're ready to throw it all out the window at a moment's notice and take each moment as it comes. I think that's mainly why I'm not scared. Labor doesn't scare me. Delivery doesn't scare me. I'm prepared for it to be painful and tough and amazing and beautiful and weird and disturbing and fulfilling all at the same time. Sounds simple, right? *wink*

Pardon me. I need to go rub some oil on my belly. My belly button is flush with the rest of me now and it feels like it will pop out at any moment.

Labels: , ,

6 What people are saying:

Blogger Anisa rambles...

you are so amazing! i hope you will give some good info on natural childbirth after the fact too...i am v. curious.

2/04/2009 10:59:00 AM

 
Blogger Lynilu rambles...

Ohh, I love this picture! I saw it in a thumbnail last night on my following list, but couldn't read it till today since you apparently did a delayed publish on it. I was chomping at the bit to see the "real" photo! I'm enjoying your pregnancy vicariously!! I almost feel like I'm becoming a grammy again!

I don't know whether we even knew about Braxton-Hicks contractions when I was having babies. The first I remember hearing about it was when my daughter was expecting. I didn't have them anyway. I suppose it is what we called "false labor," and until I was hours away from delivery, I had nothing. I 'spose I was lucky. I hope yours are bearable. :)

2/04/2009 12:51:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

Wow...
Time flies by so fast...hard to believe that your little one will be here pretty soon! What a beautiful belly! :-)

You can get through ANYthing...I bet you will do just fabulously! Hope it comes soon...and goes fast..and you have that little angel in your arms!

I guess my contractions are the stress related aches and pains I've been feeling...lol...and wading through all this gov't red tape and paperwork black-hole...

I forget...when is your due date, again? Wonder if it'll be while we are in Korea?

2/04/2009 04:58:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

What an exciting time!

See, I'm still here.

2/04/2009 10:12:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Honey I read-read-read before I gave birth and still was not prepared LOL
My biggest "vanity" fear was shitting in front of someone (I didn't) but trust me when I say you'll reach a point where ANYTHING could happen and you just don't care.

2/05/2009 08:36:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Anisa - A woman on the train the other day gave me immediate, unsolicited advice as soon as she saw my belly. "Oh honey, get the epidural as soon as you can." Um, thanks? It's almost as if my decision to do this the way women have been birthing babies for eons is a totally foreign concept to some people. So yeah, I'll give you all the info I can after this baby comes. ;-)

Lyn - Aww, thanks!! I'm happy to share these photos and experiences. It's such a remarkable thing. So many women I know are excited to watch this happen for me and I revel in it. "False labor" indeed. It's just the body practicing for what's in store. It's bearable so far. I'm not letting it scare me, I think that's why it's been easier for me to deal with than some friends of mine.

Retro - Yes!!! I hope it goes fast, too. But, I'm prepared for a long, hard labor if need be. Awesome is due 3/17, but I feel this baby could come early. I hope it happens while you're picking up Isaac! I really hope that happens. I want to trade stories and experiences and all that stuff. He's older than this one, so I want your perspective!!! :-)

CV - Hiya! Exciting, indeed!

Patti - Ha! I was afraid of that, too. But I got over that one awhile ago. My new fear is a big tear. Owww!

2/05/2009 01:52:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home