round and round...

Monday, April 27, 2009

Out and about... sans kidlet

On Saturday night we celebrated our anniversary, even though it was technically the next day. My amazing sister in law was in town and she babysat Jude while we went to dinner at a lovely little Italian resto in the 'hood. It was so hard to leave that little bean! I knew he was in the most capable hands (she's a kindergarten teacher and she is beyond fabulous with babies), yet I was nervous.

My sister in law is the only person I'm comfortable leaving Jude with at this point. As much as I love my friends and family, she's still the only one Matthew and I feel good about when it comes to watching our 6 week old tiny package of poo and goo. I'm hoping this will change soon... she lives in Boston!! It's kind of hard to call in the sitter from 4 hours away. Lucky for me she'll be here for the months of July and August staying with us.

Those of you with kids - how long did it take until you were comfy (or at least not *totally* against) leaving your kids with friends/a sitter? I'm really thrilled we went out alone because we needed to celebrate the first year of our marriage without the distraction of Jude for an evening and we had a wonderful time. But, I can't see that becoming a regular pattern because I'm still uneasy about leaving him. I've got to get comfortable with trusting other people with my child or I run the risk of becoming one of *those* moms. You know the type - helicopters - they hover and hover and never leave the kid alone. I do not want that AT ALL. Maybe we should start with short amounts of time (and hour or so?) and work up to longer stretches (dinner and a movie?). Thoughts? Advice?

P.S. It's absolutely gorgeous in Brooklyn today. Jude and I took Duke for a walk... Duke went a block and sat down as if on strike. He hates, I mean hates, the heat. It was 78 at the time and he was done. Wait until it's 90 later today - oh whatever will that pooch do? The horror.

Momming is weird. It's wonderful, totally wonderful, but man oh man, it's weird!!

Labels:

4 What people are saying:

Blogger Lynilu rambles...

That first time out without the little one is very hard, whether it is a month or six months after (s)he is born. It will get easier. I was lucky because we lived in a small town with my parents 2-3 miles away. They adored him, so it was easier to feel good about leaving him there. After the first couple times!!

I'm glad you went out. It is important for the new mom & dad to not lose their adult connection. Don't even let that wane. Yes, the baby is #1 because he is helpless, but if you aren't intact in your relationship, what does Jude have?

Mommying is wearingly awesome. :)

4/27/2009 10:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

Wow a year married already?! Time really does fly...Congrats!! :-) Hope you guys had a really nice evening.

I can't even begin to think about leaving Isaac yet...but mainly because we live somewhere so far from family and long-time friends...I just don't feel close enough or feel I really really know these people in IL enough to leave my baby with them just yet...lol. (I am SUCH a control freak...I am sure this is a huge part of it...) I am hoping someday I will feel differently...cause I would LOVE to go out to dinner & a movie with my hubby some day again...lol

4/28/2009 11:06:00 AM

 
Blogger Caroline rambles...

Ditto what Lynilu said...she is so wise. :)

Glad you guys were able to get out to celebrate your anniversary and Happy Belated Anniversary.

4/28/2009 02:11:00 PM

 
Blogger Kerri. rambles...

Happy anniversary, Melissa and Matt!! :)

(And Jude gets cuter and cuter with every picture. I can't wait to meet him in person!)

4/29/2009 10:37:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home