round and round...

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Update: Bus Woes

Well, I'd like to report that the bus driver and I patched things up over a nice cup of coffee and the morning paper, alas I cannot. This morning he stopped to let a girl on the bus who was late. The bus was stopped in the same spot it was when he almost didn't let me on yesterday... and he let her on no problem. Even said "good morning" to her. We're both in our late 20s (or so it appears), both dressed similarly (the dreaded business casual), seem to have similar dispositions. Differentiating factor: she's black, I'm white. He let her on without a second thought. At first I was very angry, and then I just wanted to cry.

I don't get it. I understand the factors behind racism and long-standing prejudices (say what you will, yes I grew up white in the 'burbs, but I do understand the motives even if not from a first hand perspective), but I don't condone them as excuses or reasons. Is it idealistic of me to feel the way I do? Sure. But the fact remains that I've never been anything but cordial to the bus driver and he's treated me poorly from day one. I wish he was rude to me because I was rude first - that I'd understand. It makes me very sad that he's judged me based on his preconceived notions about people who have my skin color. Does it happen every day to people with brown skin? Absolutely. Have I ever made someone with brown skin feel bad about being brown? No. And so I take it personally when someone makes me feel bad for being my own shade of pinkish beige.

4 What people are saying:

Blogger Melissa rambles...

Can't we all just get along? Oh, Rodney, Rodney, Rodney.

I can't wait to get back to a place where people are cranky because they're just cranky and friendly because they're crazy. Wait, that came out wrong... ;)

12/14/2005 09:39:00 AM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

...OR, you might just remind him of someone who's dissed him, or hurt him. Maybe your voice sounds like the voice of his ex-wife, who dumped him because he had a small penis.

Point his, we don't know why he's a poohead. It could be race, it could be something else. Whatever it is, remember that at the end of the day, you're the winner, and he's not.

12/14/2005 03:26:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Haha, small penis. Nice one. I like that option. Even if I remind him of someone he can't stand that doesn't make me like that person. Either way - you're right. I should just get the hell over it and stop being so damn sensitive to it.

How'd you get so smart?

12/14/2005 03:31:00 PM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

Shellfish. I eat lots of shellfish. And I watch copious amounts of MTV...much more than recommended for a person my age...

12/15/2005 02:54:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home