round and round...

Friday, January 13, 2006

Craptastic


So, I had a brief moment of giddy excitement on Wednesday afternoon when the staffing person from a company I had sent my resume to that morning called me to set up an interview. I could not believe that not only had I been called about a resume I sent (that so rarely happens - especially off an internet job posting, it's something of an curiosity when it does) but this woman wanted to schedule me for an interview the very next week. Fantastic! The salary is lower (pretty substantially lower) than I'm looking for, but it would get me back to NYC full-time, the office is in a great part of the city and the benefits pkg. is really nice (health insurance, woohoo!). I told her that I could arrange to be in New York next week, I'd check into travel options and call her the next morning to set up a time. She agreed that was a good plan and said she was looking forward to my call the next day.

I went home, checked into flights, figured I could be in the city next Friday for the interview and only have to miss one day of work here in Miami (which means only missing one day of pay). I called her yesterday morning at 8:30 and left a message letting her know that I would be available all day on Friday, but if that didn't suit her needs to please let me know, as I would need to book a flight for Wednesday evening soon (since fares that fall less than 7 days ahead of time are exponentially more expensive as those you can book a week or more in advance... I was on the 7 day bubble). When I hadn't heard back from her by 10:30 I called again and left a follow-up message.

That was a day ago and I've heard nothing. At this point the price of the flights would be hard to justify for what amounts to an entry level job. What really burns my biscuits is that, as a staffing professional, this woman should have called me to let me know that I had been taken out of the applicant pool, or that the execs doing the interview weren't available next week after all, that she's very sorry but the office had been invaded by aliens or whatever the case may be. So far, no word. If I were in town and could swing by whenever it wouldn't be a big deal. But she knows there's travel involved. She knows my experience and expressed utter glee that I was interested in the position at all (that's a sign right there...). Oh well.

The man said everything happens for a reason, and I know he's right. But, this was going to be an interview wrapped up with a great trip to NYC, with a possible swing down to DC to see Kristie on the way home. So now I guess I send out more resumes, hope I get something better (with a salary that isn't so paltry), and look on the bright side. Sometimes I want to tell the bright side to kiss my ass.

* drawing courtesy of tooth paste for dinner

4 What people are saying:

Blogger Deadly Female rambles...

I think craptastic just about sums that situation up. It sucks, Melissa xx

1/13/2006 02:15:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Yeah, I've written this one off. The woman finally called me Friday evening (2 days later, after business hours) and very nonchalantly told me to "give her a ring Tuesday morning if you still want to come in". Um, thanks but no thanks on this one. I'll save my hard earned cash for a trip when I have an interview for a job I actually feel positive about.

1/16/2006 12:34:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

No

hahaha

1/17/2006 01:28:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Kristie, if I didn't think you'd kill me I'd challenge you to a duel.

1/17/2006 03:05:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home