round and round...

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Hodge-podge or Potpourri?

Same sort of concept, except one invokes something lovely and one a bit of a disorderly mess. Both apply to my thoughts today. Let's get the hodge-podge out of the way and then we can slide on over to the potpourri.

Hodge-podge


  • According to articles in several newspapers and online sources this morning, 16 states have drug up the debate on gay adoption. There are amendments to state constitutions all over the country coming up for vote that would ban gays from adopting. I live in a state that bars gays from adopting children across the board. Not only do I find this a disgusting policy, but I find the hypocrisy within it appalling and embarrassing - gay people in Florida are not allowed to adopt a child, but they can be foster parents to as children as they can handle. Does this make sense to anyone? Gay people are suited to foster children but not to adopt them and give them a permanent home? What? Am I missing something here? I work for a woman who adopted an 8 year old from the Florida foster system and I can attest to the unbelievable volume of kids who need loving homes here. It angers me beyond belief that should 2 particular friends of ours want to start a family they could not take the adoption route and give one of the many kids in this ass-backward state a home. What makes straight people better parents? It seems to me that there are an awful lot of breeders doing a really shitty job, so why not let people who willingly want to bring children into their homes do so? I'm so mad I can't even write articulately about this.

  • Doping scandals at the Olympics make me sad. This is competition on the world stage. It seems to have been corrupted and tainted by stupid actions taken by a few. I think that's most unfortunate.

  • I colored my hair yesterday and it's too dark. I've used this color before, and this time it looks nothing like the box. It's a good 3 shades darker. Boo.



Potpourri


  • Kristie's in Idaho. Yes, she's gone to the land of the great potato with her mom to visit her maternal grandmother. She's 89 and yesterday they took her to get a mani/pedi, followed by some shopping, topped off with a nice dinner at a restaurant that she never would have gone to herself because it's just too expensive. (She meant Outback. Old people are so cute.) I think that's the cutest thing.

  • When I get back to Brooklyn I get to meet L. Britt face to face. We actually get to hang out like real people in the real world. That will be excellent and I'm looking forward to it. The internet is a wonderful and strange place, n'est-ce pas?

  • Grey's Anatomy was great this weekend, but left me wondering why the producers and the network decided to spoil the suspense worked up in the last moments of this week's episode by showing scenes from next week's that directly dispel the well crafted anticipation. Weird. What stinks is that I'll be on a plane when next week's episode airs, so I'll have to piece it together from friends' reviews... L. Britt, this means you.

  • The man and I had a great weekend. We went out to breakfasts (yes, plural), went to the beach, walked up and down the boardwalk, did some shopping (which resulted in me spending a very small amount of money at Urban Outfitters and walking away with a full bag of goodies. Really - $5 pants that are not only funky, but suitable for the office might be my new reason for living.), watched my boyfriend-on-the-side LeBron "Hotstuff" James at the NBA All-Star game, and generally had a good time relaxing and enjoying each others' company.

  • I leave on Thursday morning for New York and I'm so excited about it I could pop. I hope I don't, though - it would be a spectacular mess. Not only do I get to interview for a job that I think could be very cool (we'll see...), but I get to see my girls and my guys in NYC, and Kristie's coming up to meet me! Woofreakinghoo!

6 What people are saying:

Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

If you're too drunk, stoned or stupid to use birth control, you have society's full approval to be a parent...you're even RESPECTED for it. But if you want to adopt an abandoned, born-addicted, or abused child, you're put through the MILL to be prove you are 'suitable'. No one's ever been able to explain this to me.

2/21/2006 12:13:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

At least I'm not the only one baffled by this stuff.

2/21/2006 01:04:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Me three girls, me three. Where/how can we protest this ban on gay adoption?

2/21/2006 01:09:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Well, I think the letter-writing tactic is a good one. Reps & Senators have entire staffs just to handle mail from constituents so give them something to do. Florida's ban dates back to 1977 - so do I, funny enough - and I'm not sure how much hope there is to overturn it... but perhaps with enough pressure from constituents other states won't adopt such idiotic legislation.

2/21/2006 01:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

Here in London, they let me foster and I personally think they need their heads examined...but I'm not complaining.

Have a great time in NY!!, scandal and vice please...and say hi to Kristie for me.

2/21/2006 04:16:00 PM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

At first I thought you said, "...so excited I could POOP." That really grossed me out. Glad that it was "pop" for reals.

Yeah, I just want good homes for kids too. But don't start me on the system...that's why I got out of politics...

2/21/2006 11:20:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home