round and round...

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Smooth sailing is not a result of calm seas...

... it comes from grueling hard work. You've got to hoist the sails, harness the wind, run the lines, react to the movement of the water and wind as if it's second nature. If you've got the hard work part down pat you can enjoy the process. You can look out on the waves as you cut through the ocean and feel the wind on your face as you glide through water and air. Conversely, if you're sitting idly by on the deck as the wind shifts and the water calms, you've got a good shot at stranding yourself. Chances are you'll lose the wind, your sails will droop, your boat will come to a halt and you will be miles from shore. The lesson is that it takes work - all of it. Even the smoothest of sailing takes some sweat equity.

Much like relationships. They don't just happen and grow and stay afloat with no maintenance. The best of relationships, romantic or not, are the ones that are nurtured and worked on grown with good maintenance. I saw a friend tonight who made me remember that. I tried to grow my relationship with him and nurture it for a long time and my efforts weren't reciprocated. He took and took and is glad to take some more even now. I can't be the one to always reach out, it makes my arms tired and I'd like a break from maintenance duties now and then. He needs to put forth some effort or pretty soon this relationship will have atrophied to the point of no return. I can't sail this ship all by myself.

P.S. Liza Minnelli makes me sad. She's on Letterman right now and she's hard to watch.

2 What people are saying:

Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

You are absolutely right relationships DO take work. I find i'm kind of apathetic sometimes but I truly don't mean to be. I heart my friends :)

4/01/2006 12:03:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

I totally know what you mean. I have friends who even tap me monitarily and never reciprocate. I know that sounds petty but its more of a matter of integrity. I personally have chronic fear that I am a doormat too often. I give and I give and I give, I evaluate, offer my most intimate and valuable pieces of myself. Yet I end up at that same place- tired and wanting someone else to do the driving for once. I really like you blog. The emotions and the content ebb and flow.

4/03/2006 04:57:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home