round and round...

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I live here

It might seem trivial to you. It might seem like such a small thing, insignificant, nothing really. But to me? To me it's heaven. I have a neighborhood coffee shop, folks. Really. In fact, there are several, but I like this one best. I can walk there and it's not scary - not one bit of scary the whole 2 blocks it takes me to get there. At night? In the dark? Nope, still not scary to go get coffee.

See the lady with the grey ponytail and the black apron? That's Mary. She owns the place. I have a coffee shop. I know who the owner is. I have a neighborhood. People say hello when you walk your dog. Duke loves it here. He's even pooping outside now.

I'm off to cook the tuna I bought at the natural grocery store 2 blocks away and pop open the bottle of pino grigio I picked up at the wine shop down the street.

Such a change of pace. Such a relief. Such a sense of calm... as long as I'm caffeinated. Lucky for me that's not a problem now. I can just mosey on down to Prospect Perk and see Mary. This really is my own little Brooklyn utopia.

Labels: ,

9 What people are saying:

Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

Yay for you! Yay for Brooklyn! Isn't it awesome when you fall in love with your neighborhood and it loves you back?

10/17/2006 09:25:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I'm definitely a fan of not scary neighborhoods! Enjoy your new life Melissa, you and the Dukester deserve it!

10/18/2006 09:43:00 AM

 
Blogger Pam rambles...

ok - tonight I'm pouring a glass of red and lifting it with a great big Cheers to Duke for doing his thing outside and another heartfelt Cheers to you for heaps of continued happiness!

xx

10/18/2006 09:47:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenn rambles...

I have always loved the idea of a neighborhood coffee shop. I have yet to 'have' one. Good for you! You sound happyish. I'm glad.

10/18/2006 10:50:00 AM

 
Blogger Sapphire rambles...

It's always nice to have your own little slice of the world that makes you feel content. Hope your new life continues on a high note.

x

10/18/2006 01:45:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

That IS cool. It's great to love your neighborhood and to find a comfortable little place that you can hang out and become a regular....I miss that about Lexington KY where I lived prior to Chicago...so many cool places that I knew the owners and other regulars - coffee shops, diner, indie record stores...I miss it.

Glad to hear you and the puppy are happy and thriving :-)

10/19/2006 10:54:00 AM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

I wonder if anyone else who frequents the coffee shop is blooging about how the place has gone to pot since the strange lady and her enormous dog started became regulars...

10/20/2006 09:50:00 AM

 
Blogger James Burnett rambles...

Melissa, kudos on the 'hood love.

And we have traded messages on the misery of South Florida. So you'll appreciate my pleasant surprise when down here in the concrete/palm tree jungle I found a neighborhood coffee shop. Love the place. I walk 4 blocks to it from my house a couple times a week.

Enjoy yours. I've had more than one good story idea hatched at my 'hood coffee shop.

10/20/2006 11:29:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

I lived in Manhattan for eight years, then moved to Brooklyn and I finally feel at home. My dad's side of the family is from Brooklyn, which makes it feel even more like I belong here. I notice from the coffee shop picture that you live in Park Slope. Here's a cool story about my great uncles skiing in Prospect Park around 1917. (My little brother and I built the site.) Hope you like it.

Tom

11/15/2006 03:59:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home