round and round...

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Grrr

I really am all for religious expression. Seriously. Do whatever it is you do to feel closer to whatever higher power you feel guides you.

There are only minor caveats to this theory. #1 - Don't expect me to join in the fun (ie. Don't knock on my door or hand me pamphlets on the subway.) #2 - Don't infringe upon my personal space with your religiosity (ie. Don't come sit down next to me on the subway and preach loudly despite the very clear do-no-disturb sign of my iPod headphones, do not shove the afore-mentioned pamphlets into my chest... I don't dig on Jews for Jesus or Jehovah's Witnesses so back the hell off.).

#2 refers to personal space. Personal space, in my estimation, includes my eardrums. So, if you are being loudly religious/possessed/moved by the almighty... chances are you gonna piss mama off. Like today, for example. Today I'm not feeling so hot. Tummy feeling icky (I swear since the endoscopy I've been a gas factory even when I haven't eaten anything, ugh.), head's aching, general malaise stemming from stress in addition to physical symptoms. That said, I'm trying to take it easy. Real easy. Like nap or lay around all afternoon.

It's hard to do that when people are out on my street chanting, playing tambourines, screaming, singing, walking around with chickens in their grasp (uh huh), and basically being so loud that I can distinctly hear them with my bedroom door closed and my air conditioner on. My room is at the very back of the house. Those people are freaking loud. And no, this is not just some cultural difference. West Indian people being loud annoy me just as much as American people being loud. Loud by any other name sound as noisy. Ask Willy Shakes, he'll tell you.

Here's a hint, people on my street - whatever god you pray to doesn't want you to piss Melissa off. It's not part of "his plan". Trust me on this one.

Labels: ,

4 What people are saying:

Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

Man do I hear you on the Jehovah's Witness thing. I am an EX-Jehovah's Witness. I know how much we annoy people even though they clearly tell us to go away. Now that I am no longer a JW, I have the pleasure of telling them to get the hell off my property when they stop by. BTW, came to your site from Sandra's.

9/11/2006 01:45:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Ooh I can't like religious zealots loud or quiet ones.

9/11/2006 04:00:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

I think everyone should keep their religious beliefs to themselves...If asked, you can say "oh, I'm Jewish" or whatever, but leave it at that. I agree...I have an aunt who is Jehovah's Witness, and all she ever did when we were kids, was try her damndest to convert us from catholic to JW...until my mom told her to shut the hell up. lol.

I believe in being privately spiritual (or religious if that's your thing)..

9/12/2006 09:36:00 AM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

OH man, do I hear ya on this one.

9/12/2006 01:28:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home