round and round...

Thursday, August 17, 2006

this hurts



My boy is sick. He's really sick. My crazy mutt's got cancer. I wanted him to come live with me and the man told me today that my Duke has cancer. My 3 year old unconditional love machine could leave us at any time. I asked the man if Duke could come live with me in New York sometime soon and he avoided my question for about a week. Today I asked him if he was avoiding the Duke question on purpose. Turns out he couldn't figure out a good way to tell me that our dog is sick. He feels awful and I feel heartbroken and a little lost right now. Miami was pretty much a dark blotch on the record of my life and Duke was the only thing that was shining and pure and bright the whole time. Not one ounce of malice, not one minute of doubt or negativity in him. It's very widespread, the cancer. I can't help him. I can't fix him. All I want to do is make him healthy and I can't do it. My pet, my friend, my furry baby is really sick, you guys. I can't stop the tears.

Labels: , ,

7 What people are saying:

Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

This is one of the saddest things that can happen in life, in my opinion. We give our hearts to our animals and get so much in return, but then when this happens, it hurts so deeply...and it's true, there's nothing you can do except to make sure he doesn't have too much pain. The helplessness is the WORST part!!! Big hugs and know that there are people who understand and 'get' how bad this feels.

8/17/2006 09:45:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

for what it's worth, I know he feels the same towards you and that he misses you as well.

8/18/2006 01:20:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Aw shit Melissa that really really REALLY sucks. Poor Duke. What did he ever do to have this happen to him???? I am so sorry.

8/18/2006 08:37:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

I love you.
-Rach

8/19/2006 05:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenn rambles...

Oh Melissa...I'm so sorry. Just so sorry.

8/19/2006 09:20:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Thanks, everybody. I'm a mess about Duke. Everytime I think I'm feeling better I get intensely sad again. Thank you for the hugs. Even across the ether they help.

8/20/2006 04:35:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

Melissa *HUGS*
I'm so sorry...I know how difficult this is for you...been there, however I had my dog with me until his last days. I am so sorry that you didn't know right away and don't have him by your side.

All your bloggy pals are here..if you need to vent, chat, whatever. Just take it one day at a time...that's all you can do.

Hang in there

Retro Girl
(aka Red)

8/22/2006 09:15:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home