round and round...

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Books, people. Books.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting James tagged me. This is a great Q&A about books. I dig books. You can learn all sorts of things from them and they'll never talk back. They'll never tell you it's a bad idea to have another scoop of ice cream. They'll never say those pants aren't working out for you.

A book I've read more than once? The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I read that when I was a kid about 5x. More recently I've read The Tipping Point twice. (check out Blink, too, it's excellent.)

What book would I want on a desert Island? James and his buddy had a very good point - you should take a book that makes you into MacGuyver. You know, how to build a raft and get rescued with only dental floss, a toothpick, and a roll of tape. As logically sound as that plan is, I'd prefer something more literary. How about Fury by Salman Rushdie.

A book that made me laugh? Big Trouble by Dave Barry. A story that takes place in Miami that actually makes me chuckle. You know that's good.

A book that made me cry? The Time Traveller's Wife. Thanks, Kristie. ;-) At the end of this book the cover art takes on a whole new glorious beauty. Oh, and Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer is amazing. A Brooklyn boy writes a gorgeous tale of love, loss and learning that makes a Brooklyn girl swoon. Um, that girl is me.

A book I wish I'd written? A Girl's Guide To Hunting And Fishing by Melissa Bank. Poignant, timely, timeless, real. You should check out her second novel called The Wonder Spot, too.

A book I wish had never been written? The Rules - that ridiculous book for women about how to catch and keep a man. GAG ME. Burn copies of this book. No, don't actually burn them, but please, PLEASE, my sisters - don't buy this drivel. I'm not even linking to it because I'd feel dirty.

A book I'm currently reading? I have 8 pages to go in Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. It's terrifying and so so so good.

A book I've meant to read? War And Peace. Seriously.

A book that changed my life? The Colossus of New York by Colson Whitehead. It's brilliant. He's brilliant. This city is amazing. This city is always the same. This city is always changing.

6 What people are saying:

Blogger Pam rambles...

I always meant to read War and Peace too! So, now I am and I must say it's a slow read for me. New goal: Finish War & Peace before my 1st grandbaby is born. (or maybe second if 1st one arrives too soon)

: )

9/14/2006 12:08:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I heart books

9/15/2006 09:43:00 AM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Hmm, I keep hearing things about The Time Traveler's Wife. Time to check it out.

9/15/2006 11:50:00 PM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

I loved Time Traveler's Wife. Really great story.

9/19/2006 01:44:00 AM

 
Blogger Pat rambles...

Hmmm...I think I'm going to steal this for my blog!

And, as far as The Rules is concerned? I'm gagging with you!

9/19/2006 09:06:00 AM

 
Blogger Marissa rambles...

I'm reading the Time Traveler's Wife right now and I LOVE IT. I can't put it down!!!!

10/02/2006 07:01:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home