round and round...

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

525,600 minutes


How do you measure a year?

Rent is closing. This show was so important to me as a teenager and a young 20-something. The story in the musical and the story behind it are really great and tragic and wonderful. I'll miss having this in our city. The city isn't even recognizable as the one in the show anymore. New York has changed, issues have changes, attitudes have changed, but Rent still has value. Love still prevails, people still get sick and die, AIDS is still a problem, lessons are learned everyday.

It debuted off-Broadway in '92, opened on Broadway in '96 and has been going ever since. But soon there will be no more shows. Hopefully there will be a revival in 10 years or so and I can get my fix again. I've seen it 9x. I listen to the soundtrack - both the Broadway recording and the movie recording. I'm a Renthead, proud and true.

Thanks, Jonathan Larson. We haven't forgotten what you did. Your work lives on, even though you didn't get the change to.

Labels: ,

3 What people are saying:

Blogger James Burnett rambles...

Never saw the stage show. But I finally watched Rent, the movie, a couple of nights ago. Very moving.

1/16/2008 09:46:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I have never saw RENT I need to see the movie I guess.

1/17/2008 09:07:00 AM

 
Blogger Claire Joy rambles...

I still cry my heart out whenever I hear the opening strains to five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes...

1/17/2008 09:12:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home