round and round...

Saturday, January 19, 2008

New, frosty things

*composed after having a beer at a ski lodge with Matthew and my family*

Have you ever opened someone's eyes to something they'd never seen before... even when you had no idea you were doing it? As we sat in the lodge tonight listening to a mediocre cover band and drinking a beer I looked out the windows and took in the sight of the snow makers blowing their frosty mist over everything outside. I looked back and saw Matthew memorized, looking out the same windows. I had seen snow making machines operating at full speed hundreds of times in my life, but for Matthew it was totally new and he was loving it. We took him on a short tour and showed him some runs, the tube slope, the pro shop. He kept remarking on the altitude, the clean feeling in the air, the crispy cold, the beauty of the snow. It was heartwarming to watch him become enchanted with surroundings that I have loved since as far back as I can remember. There is something magical for me about skiing, about being up in the mountains with the snow swirling around me and the runs laid out before me that makes me tingle a little all over. It's like I fall in love with nature all over again every time I'm up that high. To see Matthew have that same feeling was great. I can't wait to slap some skis on his feet and shove him down the slope sometime soon.

Labels: ,

2 What people are saying:

Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

that's IT, we are going snow tubing next month if I have to drag the hub kicking and screaming!

1/22/2008 02:30:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

WAIT- you went to masanutten without me? but that's part of the whole experience! i drive in the blistering wind that pushes my car all over the road so that your significant other can think i'm a horrible driver, ya know? i'm SO JEALOUS. ALL of you had better've missed me. even your dad. *twitch* bless his heart.

1/25/2008 05:18:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home