round and round...

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Yoi!

The man who came into this world as Myron Sydney Kopelman 79 years ago died Wednesday. We knew him as Myron Cope. His name is synonymous with my beloved Pittsburgh Steelers. The Terrible Towel? He came up with the idea. Jerome Bettis being called "The Bus"? He gave him the nickname. He was the Steelers color commentary guy for 35 years.

Whenever I think it's too tough to contemplate a career change I should think about Myron. He started with the Steelers at age 40. He & a young rookie named Terry Bradshaw started on the same day back in 1970. He was a sports writer, but he'd never been on the radio. He had no announcing experience. He didn't even have a good radio voice. He had personality, and that's why people loved him. He got on the air at 40 and went straight seasons until he was 75. Amazing.

He died in a town next to the one where I went to high school. His voice was one I heard all my life. Really - all my life. I listened to this man talk all my life! Can you believe that? How many people are staples in your whole life besides your family? Myron Cope was part of my life and he's gone now. Never met him, I didn't need to meet him to adore him. He'll be missed. He's the only commentator good enough to make me mute the TV just so I could listen to him on the radio instead.

Okel dokel, Myron.

Labels: , ,

4 What people are saying:

Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

He was a treasure to millions. RIP Myron

2/28/2008 06:32:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Aww, Patti, you're so sweet. It's so nice to know that people outside the 'Burgh knew and loved Myron.

2/29/2008 10:39:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

oh my god! I didn't read this post until now, and... You have just made my day. You're a steelers fan????
I grew up in Pittsburgh! Did you? Anyway, I love the Steelers and you are awesome for posting this and you are awesome. In general.

anyway. very sad about myron. He was great.

3/03/2008 12:39:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

ok, obviously i posted my comment and then read the post. Uh, I guess I was a little excited.

so where did you go to high school?

I lived in Dormont, and then moved about a month into high school - i went to seton la salle.

3/03/2008 12:42:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home