round and round...

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Yo, turn the bass up in my headphones

One two, one two.

This is a running joke amongst the band and those of us auxiliary people who populate the recording studio during sessions. Inevitably, someone will put on a pair of headphones to listen to a mix or to overlay a dub and then say, "Yo, turn the bass up in my headphones!" It's a nod to various hip-hop artists who feel the need to discuss the recording process in their songs. It would be like me making a skirt and embroidering the word "seam" over the seam. How did telling your listener what you're doing in the studio ever become a cool thing to do? It's not like you'll spit that part of the lyrics when you perform live. It's not really part of the song. Hilarious.

There will be lots of that tonight, as we head to a different studio to do a few additional guitar tracks and vocals. The band recorded some prelim tracks at this studio last year. When we're there the vibe is amazing. It's filled with the energy of all the great artists who have recorded there before. People like Frank Sinatra, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Tony Bennett, Tito Puente, Kelly Clarkson (What? I like her), Avril Lavigne (gag), Herbie Hancock, John Mayer, REM (REM!), Carly Simon, Lenny Kravitz (tasty, tasty man), Carole King, Chick Corea, George Benson, Celine Dion (feel the drama!), Diddy, Diana Krall, Joe Jackson, Ringo Starr, James Taylor (swoon), Sonny Rollins, Placido Domingo, Winton Marsalis, Woody Allen (seriously), Sheryl Crow.

Needless to say, the room has vibe. Major vibe. I'm sensing a late night in my future. A fun night, but a late one. Must get some rest before tomorrow, though. The band has a show tomorrow night! So excited. I love watching Matthew on stage. To me it's the sexiest thing in the world. Man I love, guitars I love, music I love. Delish.

4 What people are saying:

Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

I wanna be a rockstar.

3/20/2008 12:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Lenny Kravitz. Sigh.

3/20/2008 09:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Wow I am getting a vibe just reading all those names!

3/20/2008 09:34:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown rambles...

the fact that I know who Avril Lavigne is makes me question society.

3/21/2008 11:15:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home