round and round...

Monday, March 17, 2008

Balancing the investment:return ratio

I have made a decision. It seems that lately I have posted frequently about the grand decisions I've made and the changes I'm planning to make in my life. It's good to have ideas and to make plans, but it is better to act on them and make them a reality. The sweeping decision for today is to not take my job so damn seriously.

For real.

I've hit some speedbumps with my company in the last several months and my confidence in them as an organization has been dwindling at a pretty steady rate. After the events of last week (which are too boring and tedious to spell out in this forum) it has become glaringly apparent to me that I have given too much of myself to my job and it's time that it stopped. I will continue to do my best, to work hard, to see all my projects through. However, I will no longer be going above and beyond. I will no longer be working long hours. I will no longer be volunteering for corporate initiatives and taking on extra work. I haven't seen much return on the investment I have made in my job. What usually happens when an investment doesn't see good returns? That investment gets reallocated. Right? Simple math.

So, I am now reallocating the time and energy I would have previously earmarked for extra effort in my job to things that matter to me more - like my own interests, my own creative pursuits, my own life. I'm not going to become some work slacker, I'm just going to be smarter about the way I approach my job. It's like a relationship in the sense that if one person gives and gives and the other just takes and takes then the relationship isn't a very productive one. I'm going to make better investments with myself. Time and energy are priceless and impossible to get back once spent. They better be spent on worthy causes. Here's to a smarter personal portfolio.



By the way, David Paterson just took the oath of office and is now the governor of the state of New York. His swearing in ceremony was very moving and exciting. I was surprisingly giddy listening to it on the radio. His speech was great - he's a funny guy and he was jovial and light and inclusive. In order to read a speech he has to use incredibly large type, so he typically speaks candidly, on the fly. It was human and real. The first black governor of NY. The first legally blind governor of NY. He has grace and charm and I have high hopes for his term. I hope he is met with cooperation and respect. He deserves it. He served in the state senate representing Harlem for 21 years. The man has experience. Super cool thing: governors of NJ, CT, and MA were all present today. It's a regional love-fest.

Labels: , , ,

7 What people are saying:

Blogger Anisa rambles...

i had to learn that lesson in regards to work too. there is SO MUCH more to life than our jobs and it's time we give our attention to what really matters.

of course, i continue to work hard and try to do a good job, but my life outside of here is much more important.

good for you!

3/17/2008 05:08:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I hope he does a good job, after the Spitzer scandal anybody is going to look good!
I agree, there IS much more to life than your job. Now if I can just hit the lotto for a bit of change (hey i'm not asking to stinking rich just comfortable) all will be well.

3/17/2008 10:23:00 PM

 
Blogger Lynilu rambles...

I don't know if you know this, but I am/was a Social Worker. One of the concepts that I taught (or at least tried) to students, new therapists and clients is that if you don't take care of yourself, you have nothing to give to others. Over time your energies and your reserves simply run out. It doesn't mean that you should ignore or neglect others, but you have to know when to put on the brakes before you crash into the wall. Sounds as if you are doing just that. Good for you!!

3/17/2008 11:58:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown rambles...

hahaha - how about how paterson and his wife both cheated??? Hilarious. Also, how does a blind guy cheat? I mean, does he just hope that the woman is better looking than his wife?

3/19/2008 12:50:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Anisa - You are so right, sister! We should do a good job, but not let our jobs become our lives.

Patti - If you get lucky with the lotto I won't need to punch Crying Cow in the face!

Lynilu - Exactly. Give, give, give. You use up your reserves and have nothing to offer. It's nice to have the endorsement of a professional! ;-)

Chris - I'm willing to venture a guess that it's a "feel" thing. *snort* But hey, at least they both strayed, both went to counseling, worked their crap out and seem to be doing well. Kudos to them. Not many people patch things up and then open up about it.

3/19/2008 12:55:00 PM

 
Blogger Brown English Muffin rambles...

What do you do? Are you a fashion designer?

3/20/2008 09:05:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Brown English Muffin - I am, but it's not my paycheck job. I'm a corporate drone. I do project management. *sigh*

3/20/2008 11:19:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home