round and round...

Monday, March 10, 2008

Talk Soup

I was on my own this weekend since the man was in Vermont with his buddies for a bachelor shindig up in the mountains. I took the opportunity to indulge myself in little luxuries I usually forgo when he's around. Friday night I finished up work earlier than usual and had a nice sushi dinner... fell asleep on the couch and napped with Duke until around 8:30. Promptly awoke and was starving again. Martine was right - I should have ordered another roll for later. Instead, I made nachos. Ate them while watching stupid girly shows like What Not To Wear, How To Look Good Naked, and Say Yes To The Dress without any guilt or shame. Read trashy gossip mags with abandon. Farted and picked my nose without care since no one was around. A pretty perfect Friday night, if you ask me.

Saturday brought a visit from Farmer Ted (the farmer who supplies our CSA with produce) and then coffee with the girls. We hung out for dinner, too. AK spent loads of time on each step of a fairly complicated butternut squash soup recipe. She sauteed onions and carrots, added the spices so carefully, stirred in some stock, simmered the concoction delicately. When the time came to puree the delicious soup she poured it into my blender. The lid was missing the plastic cap in the center, so she covered the hole with a plate and started it up while telling us a story about her fiance making soup once and pureeing the lid cap right along with the soup. We laughed at how silly he was for doing such a careless thing. What a goofball!

Right about then a terrible grinding noise burst from the blender as if there was something pureeing away that was definitely not supposed to be in there. AK went pale. "Did I just do exactly what I was making fun of him for?" No, not possible. No way. I'm sure it's fine. It's an old blender, it just makes noises. We tried to reassure her it was just the racket of an old motor.

Yep. Totally. She blended the cap right into the soup. She just didn't see it at the bottom of the blender before she poured the soup into it. The whole thing was pulverized. Hilarious. We dumped it into the toilet and rummaged through the cabinets for other entree options, laughing hysterically the whole time. We ended up having a great meal because Farmer Ted brought so much lovely produce earlier in the day. Roasted root veggies and fresh salad greens never tasted so good! Toss in some couscous from the pantry and you've got yourself a delicious last-minute meal! Funny how some of the best things aren't planned.

8 What people are saying:

Blogger Unknown rambles...

i love what not to wear. Seriously. I only wish they'd do more guys, but i guess i'm not exactly their target.

and the blender story is hilarious.

3/10/2008 12:35:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

This is too funny!!! Sounds like something I would do too.

3/10/2008 01:54:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Chris, you're far too stylish to be a candidate for that show. ;-)

Patti, just do it in someone else's blender like AK did!

3/10/2008 04:12:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Hilarious, I can just imagine that happening! Too bad though, that would have been some killer soup.

I like the British What Not To Wear better than the American. I think Stacy looks awful most of the time!

3/10/2008 09:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

This is the best line I've read in a long time
"Read trashy gossip mags with abandon. Farted and picked my nose without care since no one was around".

Sounds like a lovely weekend...although you missed Matthew, I'm sure...and the snafu with the blender...lol...The rest sounds utterly blissful!!!

I agree w/Sandra - I do watch the US version of What Not To Wear--but Stacy London is not as beautiful and perfect as she sometimes thinks...lol. She's so snotty...but that makes it funny to watch.

I love Carson Kressly...the new show isn't bad...I miss the Fab 5/Queer Eye though!

3/10/2008 11:02:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Sandra, typically the British anything is better. The Office? What Not To Wear? Idol? Millionaire? Cadbury chocolates? Yeah.

Rero Girl, glad you liked it. *giggle* I miss the Fab 5, too!!

3/10/2008 11:46:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

I also prefer the British Hugh Laurie and the British Eddie Izzard. Without their accents I always feel cheated.

3/12/2008 03:01:00 PM

 
Blogger Claire Joy rambles...

We actually keep our blender cap in the bottom of our blender too... so the insides will dry out and not mildew (or something) But since I'm the only one who ever uses it, I guess we're safe.

Maybe you'll get a new one as a wedding gift.

3/12/2008 09:43:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home