round and round...

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Fierce. Or something like it.

*SPOILER ALERT: If you don't want to know who won Project Runway you should stop reading now*

There is something empowering about watching someone's dream come true. It's inspiring. It makes the possibility of your own dreams a little more realistic. It shows you that there is a way to get things done. It puts a tangible spin on a very conceptual idea.

While it is uplifting and wonderful to see someone else's dream become their reality, it is also a crushing reminder that your dreams are still just that - dreams. Your reality is the same as it was yesterday, the same as it will be tomorrow. The same, that is, unless you change it. Unless you do something to shake up the mix.

Are you any closer to your dreams than you were yesterday? I can safely say that I am closer to some and farther away from others. The ones that I've moved away from aren't the ones I've decided to let fall by the wayside, they're the ones I want very much but have done nothing to attain.

Tonight I watched Christian, that little snivelling punk, win Project Runway. He's talented, very talented. He sees things that most people don't see and he works with fabric in a way that is transformational and artistic. His dream came true. And you know what? He didn't get to the top by being nice to everyone. Anyone who watched the show knows he's no fairy godmother. He got to the top by talent and audacity alone. I could learn a good lesson from him. I could. I should. Maybe I will.

Labels: , , , ,

6 What people are saying:

Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Take that lesson and make it YOURS Melissa! You have talent too!

3/06/2008 11:22:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

it's never the nice person who wins those things. You gotta be an ass sometimes to get your point across.

3/06/2008 11:43:00 AM

 
Blogger Claire Joy rambles...

I absolutely detested his attitude.
(I liked most of his clothes though.) What to do? He'll have a tough time getting anyone to work for or with him, and as a result may end up having to do all the grunt work forever. Serves him right.

3/07/2008 10:17:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

I'm with you, CJ. I really liked his work... but he doesn't pass the "dinner rule". I couldn't stand a sit-down meal with him.

Now for the hypocritical part - there's a part of me that admires his complete and utter disregard for what other people think. I don't like that he's so brash he hurts peoples' feelings and doesn't care, but I do like that he does his own thing and he makes no apologies for himself. I think there needs to be a better balance of the two.

3/07/2008 10:21:00 AM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

I've never actually watched that show...but sounds like some people I used to work with.

Certainly makes ya think....


Psst--about that book...What a generous, kind offer. I have a pile to read right now...but I'll keep that in mind...perhaps I will come up with an interesting trade...and let you know :-)

3/07/2008 03:09:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

I actually 'got' Christian's attitude early on. He wasn't as cocky as some thought, it was often very tongue-in-cheek, like when he said, "I'm kind of a celebrity..in my own head." I really wanted Chris March to make the final three. Gillian completely disappointed me, I expected more. Rami didn't blow me away except for the gown made from the antique lace, that was AMAZING. But Christian earned the win, fair and square. And he did it all in that tiny closet of an apartment!!

3/08/2008 11:25:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home