round and round...

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It's official

New York has our first black governor. Our first legally blind governor. Our first governor who has had to take the reigns mid-term because the man we elected got caught patronizing prostitutes. Nice. I can't help but feel sorry for David Paterson. He didn't get into office because he was elected. He got there because the guy above him stuck his willy in women and paid for it.

Paterson has an uphill battle ahead of him. Republicans in our state are going to be watching his every move and scrutinizing him even more than they usually would due to the circumstances of his appointment. I wish him the best. He represented Harlem for 2 decades, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he'll treat NYC in Albany. One of Spitzer's last acts was a budget cut for NYC schools to help out struggling upstate communities. My teacher friends aren't too happy about that. I hope Paterson makes solid decisions and sets a tone in this state that shows it's OK to have a non-white guy at the helm. It's about time.

Lastly, Spizter has teenage duaghters. That makes his dalliances even more disturbing. Way to scar them for life, you jerk. They're teenagers, do you have any idea what this will do to them? They know their father was booted out of office because he screwed chicks and paid for it. If you're at all intelligent/compassionate/alive you will get them to a counselor immediately. No group on earth is better at taking personal blame for things that aren't their fault than teenage girls.

Labels: , ,

6 What people are saying:

Blogger Unknown rambles...

damn, those poor kids. It is gonna be tough for them for a long time.

3/12/2008 11:06:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I wish Paterson all the best!

I feel so sorry for Spitzer's wife and family. Ugh. Puke.

3/12/2008 11:07:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

Melissa you are so right. I think being a teenager is going to make it more tough for them to deal with. At least you can shield very young children from the dirty details but in this case...I mean really, what was he thinking? The benefits of his little side hobby was so miniscule compared to the humiliation of his family.

I was in HS when David Dinkins became NYC's first black mayor. I'll NEVER forget riding the train from school right before the elections and hearing a cop tell a passenger, "if this guy is elected mayor, I'm moving to Jersey"! I was so disgusted....b/c I had a feeling it wasn't due to Dinkin's politics. I wish Mr. Patterson all the best.

3/12/2008 12:53:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

His wife is obviously shell-shocked right now but I hope to see her leave him and take him for all he's worth. I have no sympathy for him!

3/12/2008 03:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Lynilu rambles...

Don't you wonder what makes people tick? Don't you wonder why they don't think before they act? Don't you wonder why their families aren't their first priority?

blech.

3/16/2008 09:47:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Chris - You're right. A very long time, indeed. Like, the rest of their lives...

Patti - Me, too. I wish him all the best. He took office this morning. He's making a speech in about an hour... I'll be listening.

Safe - Those poor kids! And HOLY CRAP about Dinkins! It's still shocking to me when I hear of people being so outwardly bigoted/racist/judgmental/intolerant. I know those things exist, I don't live in a bubble filled with marshmallows and rainbows, but it's just so foreign to me! My brain doesn't comprehend that kind of thought. I wonder if that cop moved to Jersey after all.

Sandra - I'm with you, girl. I mean, who really knows... there are marriages out there where the 2 partners have special arrangements and understandings. But this doesn't seem like the case to me. Besides, knowing he paid so much money over such a long time period must be overwhelming for her. I hope she goes back to her career which she put on hold to a large degree for him.

Lynilu - I wonder the same things! I wonder exactly those same things. I wonder and it makes me sad.

3/17/2008 12:46:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home