round and round...

Monday, April 07, 2008

But, I love you

Dumbest arguement I've had in a long time: whether or not it means I've "given up" and "conceded defeat" if I choose a plain wedding band rather than the most perfect, spectacular, antique, art nouveau one.

The original idea for our wedding rings was to find vintage art nouveau (or deco, beggars can't be choosy) rings that matched, that were perfectly in our size (you can't easily size a nouveau ring because of the intricacy of the details), and that fit our budget. As you can probably tell, those criteria had a snowball's chance in hell of being realized.

When I finally said I'd like to get a plain, thin band that matched the plain, thin band of my engagement ring it turned into me settling for boring crap instead of going for the gold... quite literally. With 18 days left to go there's no way we're finding matching bands. The chips are stacked against us - we left too little time to mount a proper search, both our fingers are bigger than the typical ring sizes of the 1910s-20s which is the period our favorite designs come from, we didn't want to go with reproductions, finding vintage and estate jewelry in NYC is easy, finding it at affordable prices is not.

I finally made my point that a plain, simple band would look best with my engagement ring, but it was a struggle. End result: concensus. His response, "But, I love you!" 'Nuff said.

Labels: ,

4 What people are saying:

Blogger Lynilu rambles...

My late hub and I had a similar problem. We wanted matching bands, but our tastes were very different. Got down to the wedding day, and we had to use substitutes ... I used a piece of costume jewelry and he an old ring he rarely wore. A couple months later we found a jewelry maker, a goldsmith. I designed our rings, and we were both happy with them. Not a solution that everyone would be happy with, but we were.

Good luck!!

4/08/2008 12:32:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Lynilu - That's precisely what I'd like to do, but the Other Half insists that there is special meaning in the rings we marry with, so he's completely opposed to switching them out later. The man is more sentimental than I am! ;-)

4/08/2008 01:54:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

If later you find the most perfect, 'these are US' rings later, I'm sure you can persuade him that the change is good. Personally I like plain and simple, too.

4/08/2008 05:28:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

We got matching bands when we got married then for our 10 year anniversary he got me a new honkin' set. We don't match anymore :(
"but I love you" is wonderful!

4/09/2008 08:33:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home