round and round...

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pushy, pushy, pushy

A former coworker just left me a comment on my Facebook page (yes, I know) about the fact that I am a fan of Planned Parenthood. She said it's interesting that I'm still pro-choice now that I'm pregnant. Now, she didn't mean it as "oh, that is truly interesting". She meant "that's callous and you'll figure it out eventually".

Why is it that some women assume that having children is the benchmark of whether or not one is pro or anti choice? I don't get it. I told her that I'm actually more resolved than ever in my pro-choice stance now that I know the joy of planning for a child. I wouldn't dream of pushing my beliefs that belong in a church on anyone else, so the thought of my government or anyone else doing that to me is disgusting.

I doubt there will be further comment. She asked me a couple of days ago why I changed my middle name to Hussein. (You can make your display name on Facebook anything you want, and there are thousands of members who have changed their middle names to Hussein as a show of support for Obama.) When I told her it was an Obama reference she didn't reply.

I am almost always open to a discussion about my beliefs and my politics. I don't understand those who ask antagonistic questions only to clam up when the answer is provided. It's like she's looking for a reason to dislike me based on my views. I happen to think her conservative Christian beliefs are utter shite, but I'd still be open to talking to her about them and they don't make me dislike her. I just don't get it.

Labels: , ,

6 What people are saying:

Blogger Lynilu rambles...

I've had similar controversial discussions. I'm completely pro-choice. Yet, except for an extreme circumstance, I would never have considered abortion. That kind of person is narrow minded just like racists or bigots of any kind. Sad. People need to open their minds, read and learn.

10/30/2008 11:25:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Exactly what I think, Lyn! So frustrating. This person moved to Texas, married a military man, and found Jesus. It would be hard for her to live up to a sterotype in a more realistic way.

10/31/2008 01:15:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

She found Jesus in Texas, eh? I wondered where he was, good to know. I can't sum this up better than you did, it's all complete shite. But I'm always so glad when mothers defend my pro-choice stand, if it was just the childless, we'd truly have no voice, unfortunately.

10/31/2008 06:19:00 PM

 
Blogger Anisa rambles...

people like that are tough. they are usually totally closed to any logic...which is sad. funny how they find jesus and lose all sense of tolerance.

and like lynilu said, i myself don't think i'd ever have an abortion (but thank God i've never been in that position)...but that leaves NO ROOM for me to judge others. i don't see why that's hard for people to get.

11/01/2008 12:51:00 PM

 
Blogger Claire Joy rambles...

Just clicking in to say I'm definitely pro-choice, pro-Jesus and pro-Obama. (A nun and a mother of two grown boys.) Mutually exclusive?

Well, see, that's NOT what Jesus taught. The problem with his message was it was so radical, it got him killed. And once he was dead, we resurrected him in our own version of what we wish he'd said.

11/01/2008 07:06:00 PM

 
Blogger Lynilu rambles...

Claire Joy sounds like a woman after my own heart! I'm off to check her blog.

11/01/2008 11:38:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home