round and round...

Monday, March 09, 2009

Operation: Mind Off Labor

(disclaimer: those are not my feet, although I wish they were)

I slept for an ungodly 11 hours last night. Apparently I needed the rest. It was a good thing since I haven't been sleeping well the past couple of weeks. I'd get comfortable and start to nod off, but then have to shift my hips because I had sciatica pain or the baby's position was making it hard for me to get a full breath of air. Just super fun late term pregnancy stuff. But last night? Last night I slept like I was going for the gold. Snoozed like a log. Pretty awesome stuff.

Today my mission is to occupy my time with things that don't have anything to do with babies or being pregnant. I'm trying to keep my mind off of my mounting frustration with labor starting and stopping, so I'm going to get some loose ends tied up and slip a little pampering into the schedule, too.

First on the list was to find out how to finalize my short term disability claim once the baby is born (Yes, that's how my employer does maternity leave, folks... it's a short term disability claim for a fraction of my pay - makes new moms feel awesome! I can't wait to be disabled. Groan.) I got my claim # and filed all that stuff away, so that's one thing checked off the list.

Next was to make an appointment to get a pedicure. Oh, the life! I got a gift certificate for my birthday back in September and have been saving it for a rainy day. Well, it's grey and kinda rainy out there and my feet could use some beautifying. So, in a couple of hours I'll hop on the subway and head to one of my favorite parts of Brooklyn to get my feet "all cuted up" for free at an adorable little salon.

On the way home, if I'm not totally wiped out in the energy department I'll stop by the library and return a DVD (woefully overdue - I've become that person!) and maybe check out a book or two.

Later on tonight I'll patch a pair of Matthew's jeans (yes, we're jeans patchers... he has his favorite pairs and they tend to wear out in choice spots - prime patching opportunities abound in this household), maybe check out online what exhibits are coming up at the Brooklyn Library, then have some friends over for dinner. That sounds like a pretty full day. A full day of stuff not having to do with fixating on labor and delivery.

We'll see how it all goes.

Labels: , , ,

5 What people are saying:

Blogger Lynilu rambles...

OHmmmmmmmmm. OHmmmmmmm. OHmmmmmmmm.

Kind thoughts sent your way, Melissa.

3/09/2009 02:07:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

I cannot even imagine... but I'm with you on the pedicure! Enjoyed my 70deg Sunday by getting the first one of the season. Woo!

PS- at least it's still cool outside. I was 10 days late in the middle of June. Mom? Not happy.

3/09/2009 03:43:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

What color toes you getting? I like the pink in that pic. :)

3/09/2009 04:28:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

All of it (well, except the Short Term Disabilty stuff) sounds absolutely lovely! Especially the pedicure...and the subway ride.

Ya know...just had a memory. I think one of the earliest posts I ever read on your blog was one where you were riding on the subway, and an Asian came and sat right down on you...as if you weren't there...lol. This was you, right? Anyway...that was totally out of no where and off topic!

Hope your pedicure and marking things off your to-do list bring you simple joys, and pass the time in a relaxing way, until Baby makes his/her way into the world. :-)

*HUGS*

3/09/2009 07:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I love the toes in that pic! Hope you are even prettier!

I couldn't even get short term disability when I had Madison. Had to take some unpaid. Very very unfair!

3/10/2009 09:19:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home