round and round...

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tidbits

Confessions of a new mom:
  • I think my baby is cuter than your baby no matter what.
  • Sometimes I look at him and I wonder if I can be a good mom and a "cool" mom at the same time.
  • I know, without a doubt, that I would sacrifice my life for his in a heartbeat if I needed to.
  • Contrary to popular belief, a mother doesn't love every last detail of her child - his poop is the nastiest substance I have ever come across.
  • I wonder if I will ever get a chance at a full night's sleep again. If it happens I wonder if I'll be able to enjoy it.
  • I look forward to the time when I can have a conversation with him, but I am apprehensive about not having all the answers to his questions.
  • I have a small and silly fear that he will be smarter than me. I also hope that's the case, even though I won't like it much at first.
  • I still cry on occasion because my body is not my own and won't be again until he's no longer breastfeeding. I mourn the loss of my individual self while I celebrate the arrival of my mother self.
  • I get a kick out of picking his little nose when he's got a visible booger.
  • I was relieved when the surgeon announced he was a boy at his birth because I thought a boy would be easier... I know how much of a pain in the ass I was as a girl and I dreaded a mini-me.
  • I laugh often because his tiny feet smell like adult feet, just tiny.
  • Matthew and I joke that he'll grow up to be our total opposite - a jock with no interest in art or literature... and we both secretly harbor a real fear that it might just happen.
  • His eyes haven't set their color yet, but I hope they're green like my mom's.
  • I want to have another child someday, but I don't know if I can love any other baby like I love this one.

Labels:

7 What people are saying:

Blogger Lynilu rambles...

"I think my baby is cuter than your baby no matter what."
I might argue that, and it would be OK, because my baby is a girl and she is 39 years old, but wow, was she a cute baby! Observe:
http://noendingjourney.blogspot.com/2006/06/ladybug.html [ ;) ]

"I look forward to the time when I can have a conversation with him, but I am apprehensive about not having all the answers to his questions."
You don't have to have all the answers. Saying, "I don't know, let's look it up," led to some of the most fun times with my kids, and they knew I wasn't perfect.

"I have a small and silly fear that he will be smarter than me. I also hope that's the case, even though I won't like it much at first."
I had that fear, and it bothered me for the longest time. And then I realized it really doesn't matter, because what DID matter was love and hugs and kissing boo-boos and loving hearing them sing off key while still smiling and being proud. You'll be fine.

"I want to have another child someday, but I don't know if I can love any other baby like I love this one."
No sweat. You will. And there will always be enough love for however many kids there are. Love doesn't have to be shared because it just grows bigger to accomodate each child.

Beautiful post. :)

5/26/2009 10:40:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Lyn - Crying. Good tears, but tears. Thank you for such thoughtful comments. I just read them aloud to Matthew... that's when the tears came. :-)

5/26/2009 10:56:00 PM

 
Blogger Lynilu rambles...

No prob, sweet girl. It'll get easier, I promise.

5/27/2009 12:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Anisa rambles...

Very, very sweet. You are a great mother.

5/27/2009 10:26:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenn rambles...

You are a cool mom and a good mom. Already.

Here's what I've learned:

The definition of full night's sleep evolves.

I've said "I'm not sure/I don't know/Let's figure it out" more times than I ever thought I would.

Bellie is smarter than I am. It didn't bother me like I thought it would at first. Though, I have to be pretty clever to work with it sometimes.

While I wouldn't say I get a kick out of it, I still am amazed that it doesn't bother me to wipe a runny nose with my bare hand or inside of my shirt. Sometimes there just isn't a tissue.

Those tiny feet grow and I look at them and sigh with the memories of the tiny feet.

I love someone else more than I could ever begin to describe. But you get that now.

He's absolutely beautiful. (And since he's a boy - he can be the cutest one because, obviously, Bellie is the cutest girl. Anyway - she kind of looked like a grouchy old man when she was a baby...for real.)

5/27/2009 11:18:00 AM

 
Blogger Kerri. rambles...

To confirm your assertion, I've shown Jude to some of the lovely ladies I work with and they agree - he is ADORABLE.

Can't wait to meet him in person! Need to prime Chris for fatherhood. ;) (No, nothing yet. But hopefully soon!)

5/27/2009 04:59:00 PM

 
Anonymous Safa rambles...

I love this post. I was "secretly" happy when I had a boy as well b/c I was a sassy, backtalking PITA and I didn't think I could deal with a girl.

I had my 2nd child almost 3 years ago and ya know, mothers have all the love our children need.

I thought I was the mom to cry over the loss of my own body. I nursed both unitl they were 2 years and a couple of months...there were times I felt violated. But when my 7 year-old hops on my lap, and lays his block head on my chest I inwardly cry b/c that time is over. My almost 3year old still puts his hand in my shirt when I hold him...he tries to contain himself LOL!

I became obsessed with getting EVERY visible booger I could. It got so bad that I would wait until they were asleep and pick with tweezers...my husband gave me one chance before he threatened me w/ CPS!

A good nights sleep? HUH??? I must say, when my oldest spent his 1st night out to my sister's house at age 3, I slept like a baby.

5/29/2009 12:41:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home