round and round...

Thursday, December 29, 2005

We're Gettin' Close, Folks


2006 is fast approaching and it's almost time to wave goodbye (or good riddance, depending on how you feel today) to 2005. I've noticed that many of my friends in the blogosphere are contemplating 2005 and what it brought into their lives. My friends in NYC (who I miss dearly and love to pieces) seem to be looking forward with as much hope as possible, while trying to ignore the bitter taste that 2005 has left in their proverbial mouths. Folks up there have had a really rough go of it since Nicole's death and things haven't been the same since. How could they be, right? You can't expect life to be the same when someone you know and love is murdered.

But should that cloud everything else about 2005? Does one horrific event define the year or is it a combination of it all? I bet Nicole would be pretty pissed off if we all couldn't think of the good parts, too. Good parts like Mary Jane's show that was so good I saw it twice. Like hanging out with Jeffrey at the bar after the show and Julie snapping our picture in the afternoon sunlight (I can't believe Yuca Bar serves brunch 'til 4PM! Ahh, NYC). Like Kristie's wedding and getting to be a part of that whole experience (when your best friend gets married to someone you actually like and respect it's an amazing feeling), looking at photographs from that weekend makes me tear up with joy (thank gawd we're not fat anymore - snarf). Like going back to Brooklyn for Julie's birthday and MT snogging his cast-mate on the dance floor (hot, I tell you. That's right, MT, shake that booty). More on MT - he's a working actor, folks, that is a great thing. How about moving to Miami and getting to see the man every day when I wake up? That's a big deal. As much as I hate Miami, I love the man and living with him is a good thing. My brother turned 20, when did he grow up? Jess got engaged and moved and is moving again. Duke! We got a dog, people - a dog! K Lance finished up one project, moved onto another, took a much needed vacation, and is starting yet another chapter in his journey. I got a dress form - a real one - and I've created more pieces in the last year than in my whole life combined... and they keep getting better. There have been so many good things.

So many, that if I let the bad parts overshadow them I'd be doing a disservice to the joy in my life. I learned a lot. I cried a lot. And at the end of the year I'm realizing that the bad parts brought the people I love closer to me. In that sense, 2005 has been a wonderful year. I hope that 2006 brings more learning, more loving, and more laughter.

As I said to Anisa in a comment on her blog and to friends in Christmas cards this year - these words of Shell Silverstein from Where the Sidewalk Ends are some of my favorite.

Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child,
Listen to the DONT'S
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
the IMPOSSIBLES, the WONT'S
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.

Bring on the ANYTHINGS, 2006. Bring it.

1 What people are saying:

Blogger Melissa rambles...

Jess, as always you have cracked me up. Girl, you rock!

1/02/2006 12:30:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home